Musings of the Day: Say It Loud, Say It Proud, I Buy Makeup Because of the Pretty Packaging!

packaging 1

Ribbons, pink packaging, silver paper, pretty iconic Japanese characters (Hello Kitty), pink, blue, floral motifs, butterflies……you name, I’ll buy it, if it’s pretty!

My best friend Jamie says I should be terribly, down right ashamed to purchase makeup, skincare, and beauty bits and bobs…just “because they are pretty…” She claims it’s wasteful, irresponsible, and just plain silly.

Do you think I should quit this friendship? Seems unhealthy right? Only kidding Jame I lurve you but you simply don’t understand at all!

Are you ashamed of purchasing makeup just because you like the pink box it comes in? Or the pretty blue bottle with the flowers around it? Or how about that adorable imprint of a butterfly in the blush you so dearly love? Does it shame you that sometimes you won’t even use these items because they are just too damn pretty?

Are you one of those types…

Jump!

I am….one of those types. And I’m not ashamed in the least. My name is the Muse and I like pretty packaging. I’m a girl it comes with the territory doesn’t it? Pretty, shiny things are part of my generic makeup and I don’t feel the need to apologize for it at all.

I’m not denying that I’ll totally buy a completely crummy piece of makeup just because it’s adorable packaging wise. I’ll even go so far to say sometimes I can convince myself it’s the most amazing product evers simply because the packaging is so bloody cute.

Shameful?

Maybe.

But I loves me some gorgeous packaging.

What about you?

Are you willing to woman up and say it loud and proud that you buy makeup because of the pretty packaging?

Or are you in the closet hiding away your secret love of beautiful packaging from the world?

If it’s ugly do you sometimes pass it by?

Are you ashamed of yourself for purchasing maybe because it’s got pretty packaging?

Muse It!

• 2/15/10 19:05 sonia:

I dont like ugly packages…I like to buy cute stuffs, starting for the packages…to buy something that my eyes dont like at first…needs to be something pretty good, well known (and I hide the package)…..see…I just confessed for you!!!lol

• 2/15/10 19:30 the Muse:

me too sonia :-D LOL good girl! :-D You aren’t in denial that’s the first step LOL!

• 2/15/10 19:06 VampiressDoll:

On yeah that entices me greatly, but if it’s far too pretty (beautiful pan overlay) I’ll get too scared to use it! x

• 2/15/10 19:29 the Muse:

LOL same vampiress doll! The beauty vault it ends up in :-D!

• 2/15/10 19:06 Marcy:

I wouldn’t buy something cos its ugly, but pretty packaging may encourage me to buy it more. But then I would buy something because the product colour has a cool name! (like the Cuddle shadestick… and I nearly bought the Dear Cupcake eyeshadow from last year’s Sugarsweet collection… I just don’t look good in pink e/s) So I guess I’m not any better!

• 2/15/10 19:07 Marcy:

Lol I meant I wouldn’t NOT buy something just cos its ugly (or better described as plain) packaging… dumb typo!

• 2/15/10 19:30 the Muse:

I’d def buy if it was ugly but I’d be pissy b/c it was good with crummy packaging marcy LOL! on the strange mentality of my makeup junkie life!

• 2/15/10 19:29 the Muse:

LOL marcy you sound like me! i admit sometimes names tempt me too! I mean dear cupcake that’s absurdly cute right?! :-D

• 2/15/10 19:16 Marsha:

Muse I feel like you wrote this just for me. I bought most of the Style Warriors stuff just because I LOVE animal print. I plan on buying some of the MAC summer collection because the packaging is so pretty. My name is Marsha, and I am a packaging whore, and I am not ashamed! lol.

• 2/15/10 19:28 the Muse:

lol marsha hun you and me both! I brought some mac stuff I never even LIKED b/c the packaging killed me! Like Dame Edna, the trios weren’t fab but I NEEDED it for the packaging same for heatherette! Ugh diseased anyone? LOL I’m with ya my dear girl!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2/15/10 19:22 Sarah:

I admit it, I’m with you, I’m a sucker for cute packaging! But I’ll still buy stuff in a not-so-cute packaging if it’s a good product. But.. the cute bottle/box/jar/etc ALWAYS adds to the appeal. :)

• 2/15/10 19:28 the Muse:

heck yes sarah and my blood pressure proceeds to go up when it’s a GREAT product but the packaging fails! WHY JEBUS WHY!?

• 2/15/10 19:37 kristine:

ah definitely! my latest purchases were from “Boutique d’ Elite”
    their skin care line is to die for (professional salon quality) but i admit, their cute floral packaging got me hooked :)
    im glad im not the only one out there!

• 3/3/10 22:22 the Muse:

oh kristine I gotta go google that :-D

• 2/15/10 19:53 Ally:

Hi, I’m Ally and I’m addicted to pretty packaging! *waves at Muse^^*

For me, packaging is one of the biggest purchasing factors. I care about boxes it comes with as well and often keep the boxes (I’m not alone in this.. right? RIGHT?? XD). I’m the person who grabs 2nd or 3rd box of band-aid at the store, never the first one (the ‘anal girl’ haha)! Pretty, shiny fings attract me, and I’ll gladly pay a little extra for prettier packaging (can I say VAIN? hehe). It’s all about the experience, ja?

I’d buy Hello Kitty hand cream when I’m 65 and be proud as long as it makes me happy and not harm anyone :D

• 2/15/10 20:05 BeautyBitch:

Of course we buy make-up cos of its cute packaging! Most of what I call my “collector stash” is made up of pretty embossed powders, pretty palettes and jars which look great stashed together in a big group (my MAC pigments!).

I do try and limit myself to powder products which will last and won’t go rancid.

• 3/3/10 22:22 the Muse:

hey bora but of course lol :-D I try too as I have WAY too many things I don’t use b/c of packaging GRRR! truly an addict!

• 2/15/10 20:20 Emily:

I’m less a sucker for cute packaging, but a total sucker for gorgeous/sparkly/eye-catching packaging. Perfect example? The Majolica Majorca Lash Gorgeous Wing mascara or whatever it’s called. I think this is the most beautiful tube of mascara I’ve ever seen! Black and gold with turqoise sprinkled in between, holy crap. Gorgeous. I was so captivated by the packaging that I didn’t even bother reading what the mascara claimed to do, which I never do because I like to think of myself as a pretty conscientious consumer! It turns out that the mascara is absolutely useless (and for useless mascara, kind of expensive at 1260 yen). I can’t recall if you’ve reviewed this one or not, but it’s one of those “fiber” mascaras that is supposed to make your lashes look long, separated, but natural. It looks like I haven’t even used mascara, is what it is. So unfortunately, if the packaging really jumps out at me, I often find myself weakening and buying it. Though after the MM mascara travesty, I think I’ve gotten a bit wiser.

• 2/15/10 20:26 Lisa Kate:

Wow I totally just did a review on something I bought cause it was cute today! Stupid bright pink Rimmel mascara that sucked…I only bought you because you were adorable XD

I will admit that I’m a bit of snob…it something has crappy packaging (and since I pretty much only buy minerals, it happens a lot), it will deter me from buying more. I like all my jars to be plastic, thank you, I hate those damn clam shell containers that barely work!

• 2/15/10 21:40 Cucumpear:

Though I do like pretty or sleek packaging, functionality is more important to me. ‘Looks cute’ is more of a bonus than an incentive to buy. Having said that, I have to admit that pretty packaging does catch my eyes more often and I need to consciously evaluate the content on occasion if I don’t know the brand.
    In some cases I don’t think about the packaging and how it will look on my vanity or bathroom shelf at all (e.g. LUSH, Body Shop, Kiehl’s and Clinique). But when I break my nails opening an eyeshadow palette I get seriously pissed off.

• 2/15/10 22:02 DivaShop:

Cute/Pretty or Slick Packaging is definitely an encouragement/enticement! :)

• 2/16/10 11:31 the Muse:

gloria ditto hun, ditto!

• 2/15/10 22:15 knownever:

I try not to buy things I won’t use, but I definitely appreciate interesting packaging. I tend more toward sleek and reusable rather than pretty but with most makeup use value is not what you’re going for. so if packaging gets you go for it!

• 2/16/10 11:34 the Muse:

knownever I’m very guilty of being a packaging h0r! :-D even functional makeup is prettier in cute packaging imho :-D

• 2/15/10 22:17 Katherine @ Lipgloss and Spandex:

I adore cute packaging. But if the product sucks, I won’t buy it. If the product is okay, then I will. And if the product is great and the packaging is cute, I might even buy a backup, or a duplicate! (Cargo Hands of Hope palette, Harajuku Lovers perfumes). If there’s a great product in crummy packaging… I might buy it if there isn’t a better and cuter option.

• 3/3/10 19:46 the Muse:

hey katherine phew I must be tired that statement was all over the place hehe :)

• 2/15/10 23:25 jonnie:

I’m doing a lot better with this… cute packaging will make me favor products or brands but I’m not buying things I don’t need or want any more just because it’s cute. I will go way out of my way to get something cute as opposed to regular or plain (like my Hello Kitty Uno set that everyone else says they feel too silly playing with… meanies…).

• 3/3/10 19:46 the Muse:

hey jonnie I try and do ok as well but sometimes it happens anyway LOL the damn packaging pulls me in! awwww hk uno ROCKS! :)

• 2/15/10 23:41 My Anh:

I’m a victim of that marketing strategy. My eyes automatically is drawn is anything beautiful looking. However, in the end I will make a good assessment if that product is worth to buy or not.
    Must hold on tight to resistance hahaha
    Perfumes are what I tend to care mostly about the style of the bottle. Have you seen how awesome some are now days? Makes you want to grab it just for decoration.

• 2/16/10 15:45 the Muse:

hey my anh! I’ve taken to 2nd guessing product myself. I look at it, analyze, and I look at it again a week or two later to see if I REALLY want it and I feel the same way I originally did when I was in lust mode :-D Normally it turns out I didn’t want it that badly :D I’m guilty of spontaneous purchases!

god yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nina Ricci very guilty of creating some gorgeous bottles lately!

• 2/16/10 17:14 My Anh:

I’m sure you’ve seen Guerlain Insolence EDP. That awesome bottle where the smell is okay, nothing spectacular because it’s all been done before. But yes the bottle got me into buying it!

Love Nina Ricci, especially her dresses -daydreams-

Lately I’ve been wanting to buy a few more lipsticks but I have no idea which brand to go for. What do you recommend? I don’t mind those outrageous beautiful design =P

• 3/3/10 19:42 the Muse:

lol I understand this feeling well my anh! and run into it constantly. god yes nina ricci=so chic! mmm cheap wise I’d go mac, expensive guerlain lippies all the way :-D

• 2/16/10 1:48 M:

*raises hand* Hello my name is M, and I am guilty of buying stuff just because the packaging is gorgeous. :P I am attracted to shiny, sparkly, pretty things. Like Coffret D’or’s Shine Drape Rouge lipsticks! Staying power is so-so but the tube is oh so gorgeous!!!!

• 2/16/10 11:25 the Muse:

LOL M! AWWW I hear you doll! i KNOW the feeling well!

• 2/16/10 1:52 Selenite:

Admittedly, yes. But a high price is going to make me drop that nice little bauble before I even pull the wallet out.

• 2/16/10 11:25 the Muse:

selenite most cute packaging ends up being higher priced doesn’t it? damn :-D

• 2/16/10 2:22 SilhouetteScreams:

I dont think I’m really one to buy something solely for the cute packaging, but if I hear decent things about it and it has cute packaging that tips me over the edge :D

I pass up a lot of things due to crappy packaging though, whether it’s plain fugly or just wasteful packaging.

• 2/16/10 11:27 the Muse:

fugly packaging normally gets the heave ho with me too Silhouette. Even when it’s good…I just can’t stand ugly packaging! WHY!!!!!!!!!!!! :-D But I def find myself buying stuff just b/c it’s pretty which is def absurd at times :-D

• 2/16/10 2:33 Nia:

Hmm, I am in the middle I guess. Like you I love me some nice packaging, but I would not buy an otherwise crappy product/colour just because the packaging is nice. I would however buy a lipgloss from Give Me Liberty of London because of the packaging, although I am on a lipgloss no-buy.
    What can I say ;)

How has your week started, Muse?

• 3/3/10 19:45 the Muse:

Nia I’m totally not loving LOL after seeing the swatches PHEWWWWWWWWWWWWWW! but the packaging is getting me again LOL! :-D lord my week is good although I’m very late reply as you asked two weeks ago lol! *hugs* sorries my friend!

• 2/16/10 3:40 Hella:

Yes, yes, yes!!! I buy things ’cause they’re cute!
    But for some things, it’s only the product that matters… Like concealer – it just has to be a good concealer, whatever the packaging.
    I admit that I’ll buy any lipstick that looks nice, even if I get to use it only once… I don’t think its shameful, girls just like to be surrounded by pretty things, like in boudoirs of the 17th c…. All the splendour of the cute little cushions, draperies, and of course, thousands of little jars and bottles :)

• 2/16/10 15:41 the Muse:

LOL hella of course you do :-D and we love you no matter what! :-D Oh yes I hear you, concealer, packaging or not, if it’s good I’m buying!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL little jars and bottles ah bliss hella, sheer bliss!

• 2/16/10 3:43 Ling:

Oh my! definitely! I still remember my haul of the entire range of L├│ccitane’s cherry blossom for the sweet packing.. well its a plus if the product is good..

• 2/16/10 11:24 the Muse:

omg ling I really don’t like Loccitane’s Cherry Blossom all that much but I hauled it too b/c of the damn packaging :_D

• 2/16/10 4:10 sTEPHANIE:

I never really notice the packaging other than to remember what to buy. However, I do notice they are coming out with more fun presentations and I think it’s cool.

• 2/16/10 11:23 the Muse:

hey stephanie :-D I’m a total packaging junkie so I def take note of special packaging :)

• 2/16/10 4:16 Paula:

I think pretty packaging is always attractive :D and one of the major reasons, which catch my eye to a product.

xoxo,
    Paula

• 2/26/10 18:44 the Muse:

hi paula! pretty packaging def appeals :-D Hugs dear!

• 2/16/10 6:22 Elife:

I’m a total packaging whore. Period. Ever since i saw you stash movie on youtube with those little prrrrretty eyeshadows in those little pretty boxes with the colors on it omg they have been haunting me ever since.

love my muse xo

• 2/16/10 11:22 the Muse:

AWWWWWWWWWWW elife *hugs* thank you! I love you back! hehe! I adore you watched that video, it was SO long ago :)

• 2/16/10 7:49 Beauty addict:

Well, of course packaging counts. We’re all aware we’re paying it all – packaging, commercials, etc. so if I’m already paying for that, I can at least choose pretty stuff, lol :D To be honest, If I could afford I’d probably be buying just Dior, Chanel, Givenchy and not because I think they are THE brands but because their packaging is adorable! :D

Of course, there are also affordable brands which also have cute packaging which I love, and I’ve noticed that even those brands have cure looking stuff because they’re obviously aware that packaging matters. :)

And to be honest, I have plenty stuff at home which I don’t use because I feel sorry for it, LOL. So, there’s more of us like that. You’re not alone. *hug* :D

• 3/10/10 16:08 the Muse:

hey beauty addict hells yes packaging does indeed count :D thank god I am not alone LOL! as packaging def doesn’t appeal to everyone and some find it less than important but not me! I love me some cute packaging!

Thanks for the comment hun sorry for the delayed reply been swamped!

• 2/16/10 7:53 the makeup block:

Ha ha, yep, I always buy things ‘cos of the cute packaging and I only buy stuff with plain packaging if someones recommended the product.

• 2/16/10 11:21 the Muse:

LOL makeup block you got it BAD girl :-D

• 2/16/10 10:05 Anitacska:

For me it’s not so much cute packaging (although I admit I will buy the Urban Decay Alice palette mainly because of the packaging since I own most of the eyeshadows already, and I did buy all 3 glosses from the Baroque Budoir collection unseen because of the packaging, lol), but the cuteness/prettiness of the product – think LE Chantecaille powders and palettes, Mac in Lillyland powder and eyeshadow, Laneige The Snow Crystal palettes, Estee Lauder shimmer powders, etc. I buy them, then don’t use them, because I’m too afraid to mess them up. At least with cute packaging you can use the product and just keep the pretty packaging when finished. I think my case is even more serious, lol.

• 2/16/10 15:36 the Muse:

omg anita I totally understand. I sometimes put things in the beauty vault and never take them out again! It’s so sad as I just don’t wanna use anything that’s pretty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 2/16/10 10:49 Lauren:

I wouldn’t buy a highly-regarded product just because the packaging sucked, but I have bought makeup I didn’t need because I fell in love with the packaging. For instance, the Alice in Wonderland Book of Shadows! I already have six or seven of the shades in the palette, but I simply couldn’t resist that one. Packaging is also important to me in the sense that it has to do a good job keeping the product in.

• 2/16/10 11:17 the Muse:

lauren I totally know what you mean. I purchased the original BOS and I had a majority of the shades already but I simply had to have all that luscious makeup in one place in that cute pop up palette!

• 2/16/10 12:21 lyn:

I am horrible about this! I always try to tell myself, “It’s not about packaging, it’s about the product quality..” While this is true I can’t help but purchase because of packaging! it gets me every time!

• 2/16/10 12:31 the Muse:

lyn you aren’t online :-D we love you anyway and understand haha!

• 2/16/10 12:47 Emily:

haha, I don’t buy products for the packaging, but pretty packaging is certainly tempting. I have been wanting Jill Stuart products because the packaging is so, so pretty!

• 2/16/10 12:48 the Muse:

emily oh gods JS is so beautiful :-D truly gorgeous stuff!

• 2/16/10 13:42 Adora:

I <3 Urban Decay because of the amazing packaging and cute products, most people go for MAC but I dont mind paying extra for anything gorgeous and Urban Decay fits the bill. I cant stand brands that come in the 'classy' glossy black compacts, if its not pretty on the outside its not going on my face. Sorry MAC, sorry Bobbi Brown but you just havent got my attention…

• 2/16/10 15:34 the Muse:

adora I can’t blame you UD has some fantastic packaging very funky :-D I love MAC and I love Bobbi BUT god I agree I hate the standard black packaging le sigh!

• 2/16/10 18:20 Ashe:

All I have to say is Caswell-Massey.

• 2/19/10 19:11 Helen:

Pretty packaging does have its allure but I learned the hard way that the packaging ins’t everything. I also used to go for things by price figuring the more expensive it is the better the product but I fond that wasnt always true either. So for me when it comes to pretty packages, I try to ignore the packaging and go for whats inside like ingredients or even looking for reviews on the product. If the packaging is ugly but it had alot of really good reviews I give it a try. =)

• 2/26/10 12:10 the Muse:

try helen you can def get burned when it comes to pretty!

• 3/16/10 20:58 Valerie:

Hahah! Majorly guilty here! I almost sometimes refuse to buy things without pretty packaging! I am a huge sucker for pretty things, especially retro and vintage sorts of packaging, like too faced and shills (which I found from your blog), sooooo guilty! I don’t think a pretty package has disappointed me once yet! And I am so with Adora on this one, MAC, Bobbi, and NARS just don’t go it for me, I mean I know they are pretty amazing, but I’m just never… moved to buy it. It’s all so… boring. Except MAC lipglass, I wanna buy one in just about every shade! And some Viva Glam, but this is all due to my sick obsession with lipstick and lip gloss!

• 3/24/10 18:36 the Muse:

valerie shallow as me eh :-D lol! retro/vintage is my fav!!!!!! shills w00t my fav! I agree on mac, bobbi, and nars, the packaging is so uneventful!

• 7/1/10 10:02 Alex:

If the product is high-quality, but has boring packaging, I’ll buy some Japanese stickers to prettify it. ^_^ But cute packaging is definitely enticing to me :D Urban Decay and tokidoki have painfully adorable packaging :D