Needless to say I’m not a chemist and my rocket scientist degree never did come through so I’m not much in the know when it comes to ingredients in my cosmetics. Sadly, I don’t pay too much attention to what’s in the actual products I’m using. I think or at least I hope I’m not alone, that many of you aren’t conscious of what exactly is hiding in our eyeshadow and lipsticks.
I came across a rather funky article on disgusting things in cosmetics and I simply had to share it. It fits in rather perfectly with Beauty Most Unusual.
According to Relativity Online some really disgusting ingredients have made their way into your beauty products some of which may make you gag. While most makeup is tested and safe for the masses the ingredient least does fall into the Beauty Most Unusual category for shiz.
Total ick factor but did you know about these ingredients?
- Human Placenta – wrinkle remover
- Urea (Urine) – mouthwash, shampoo, deodorants, moisturizers
- Ambergris – (waste from the digestive system of sperm whales) – perfumes
- Fish Scales – nail polish , lipstick
- Chicken Bone Marrow – face creams, moisturizers
- Oleoresin Capsicum (pepper spray) – lipstick, lip gloss
- Bull Semen – shampoo, conditioner
- Human Foreskin – anti-wrinkle creams
- Cochineal Beetles – coloring for dye, lipstick etc.
- Used Cooking Oil – face creams, moisturizers
I dunno what has me more freaked out the beetles, urine, or semen….dude…
Next time you’re slathering on that wrinkle cream in hopes it’ll perfect your face perhaps think of human foreskin and you’ll second guess whether you really want to be that perfect anyway!