Wants It: Ulta Metallic Eyeshadow Palette

Ulta Metallic Eyeshadow Palette

Knowing what a snob I am when it comes to Sephora’s own makeup brand I think it’s safe to say I’d probably feel the same way about Ulta’s own line.

I’ve never tried the Ulta line before since I find I shop at Sephora considerably more plus I’ve never been tempted by the uneventful packaging.

Today I’m turning my pointed nose from up to down at the new Ulta Metallic Eyeshadow Palette, now this looks like something I can get on board with…………

Jump!

Ulta Metallic Eyeshadow Palette 2

This palette includes 10 limited edition shades of Ulta Eyeshadow with a metallic finish for $14.

I’m not particularly keen on metallic finishes but for Fall they definitely rock it hard plus I can’t really lose too much by dishing out my $14 bucks right?

Hmmm….

Suicide?

But an oh so pretty death as it does look rather tempting don’t you agree?

Available from Ulta.

• 8/30/10 13:52 peri:

that looks beautiful! but ive heard bad things about their brand of products.

• 8/30/10 13:53 the Muse:

ah peri doesn’t surprise me at all :-D

• 8/30/10 15:23 Kristina:

Never tried Ulta brand either but if these colors are as pretty in person I might have to. Their coupons never exclude Ulta products I don’t think and you can always return something you don’t like so… Ok, you just talked me into it!

• 8/30/10 15:31 the Muse:

lol kristina wow that was easy :D

• 8/30/10 16:34 Storm:

They are honestly hit and miss for me, Some of their shadows are chalky, chunky, glittery nightmares. But then some are smooth and apply well. These look like they would be ok.

• 8/30/10 16:43 the Muse:

storm I don’t have ANY of their line, fancy that :-D

• 8/30/10 17:42 Storm:

Really? I have some. Like I said, they’re very hit or miss.

• 8/30/10 18:02 ☆Lola A♏ ★:

I love their nail polishes, great staying power….that’s all I’ve tried by them,lol. It is pretty though.

• 8/31/10 9:57 the Muse:

lola I’ve never even bothered with any of it lol! I really should though just out of curiosity :D

• 8/30/10 19:58 hannah:

wow! maybe… $14.. i was thinking of buying the coastal scents metallic palette… but maybe i can just check this out at the store first. def going to ulta and trying this and seeing how small the benefit to go is haha!

• 8/31/10 9:56 the Muse:

ha hannah let me know about the benefit dead curious ’bout the size!

• 8/30/10 20:50 Phyrra:

I’ve heard people say their eye shadows are hit or miss, so I’d at least wanna hit Ulta and swatch it. That’s a really good price for a palette, but only if the colors have good payoff.

• 8/31/10 9:14 the Muse:

dd yeah… :P

• 8/30/10 22:39 Marilyn @ Lipgloss and Spandex:

I’ve tried a bunch of their eyeshadows, and many of them are very nice! The nice thing about the Ulta near me is that I can swatch the shadows before buying, since they have testers. I personally think the Ulta brand eyeshadows might be better than Sephora’s.

• 8/31/10 9:12 the Muse:

hey Marilyn I’ll have to give it a try :D

• 8/31/10 0:08 donna:

a lot of Ulta’s own line looks incredibly cheap in person. :(

• 8/31/10 8:42 the Muse:

mmm agreed donna :(

• 8/31/10 1:11 mon:

Ooh, so pretty! If it’s not LE maybe you should wait a bit for a good Ulta sale? I remember a few months ago they had a buy 2 get 2 for Ulta cosmetics. That way if it’s a fail, it would be an even cheaper fail? I’ve only ever swatched some of their eyeshadows while in the store (which seemed soft and pigmented) but otherwise no clue on how these would be.

• 8/31/10 9:07 the Muse:

def a good idea mon :-D

• 8/31/10 9:25 Kathy Watson:

My one fear about using an Ulta product like shadow is that an Ulta rep once told me that many of their Ulta products are made in China (cheaper labor/questionable ingredients). Most of the products made by other companies are made in the US, or in France, England, Germany, Italy, etc where manufacturing is better regulated. When I buy a Sephora brand product, I also keep this in mind, remembering all the recent problems that have taken place over products made in China, some of which even resulted in deaths of people (the formula incident, for example). . Since shadows are a product that can be absorbed in the body, I try to stay away from products made there for safety sake, no matter how good the price. Hate to be a downer because the palette looks nice, but I’d rather be safe than sorry later.

• 8/31/10 9:48 the Muse:

hi kathy thanks for the input. Not sure where this is made but if I haul will def check it out! :)

• 8/31/10 12:15 sparklyblind:

Thanks for pointing that out Kathy, I never even thought of that aspect honestly. I’m glad you reminded me, and all of us, about all that because I’m pretty sure none of us are into using, what was it, arsenic? As they did back in the day to get that porcelain complexion they valued so much. Especially since I personally am being tortured, ha, trying to pinch pennies waiting for the elusive UD FF Sale code to appear in my email:D

• 8/31/10 20:34 DebbieF:

First of all, this is an excellent informative site. Thanks from all those of us who ulitize information provided here. I look forward to the great RELIABLE info I get here and the comments made by readers.

I also agree with Kathy. I try to stay away from products that are made in China. Sometimes the shadows are gorgeous, but I’m concerned about putting questionable products near my eyes or on my skin, where it could ultimately cause damage, either short or long term. From what I’ve been reading, many of the ingredients in the products from top manufacturers are questionable as it is, but at least those are monitored and are subject to some sort of quality control, something that is apparently lacking in many instances in China. I worry about the so-called fillers used in China, including those fillers which have ended up causing illness and death to people who used or consumed those products. Because of that, I won’t buy any cosmetic products that are manufactured in China. And after a discussion with a Sephora consultant a few years ago, I also shy away from brushes made in China as the Sephora consultant told me that some of the brushes made in China are highly treated with questionable chemicals which are sometimes responsible for questionable smells and odors.

And sparklyblind is so right, too, about the arsenic that was used in the 1800s by the Europeans to create the perfect “white” complexion. The results turned out to great over the short term, and disastrous over the long term where those women and gentlemen aristocracy ended up with highly pitted skin, after the arsenic ate into it.

I’ve stayed away from some really beautiful palettes because of concern over where they’ve been made when it concerns lack of quality control and the possible inclusion of unknown materials and ingredients.

PS – By the way, the UD Book of Shadows III is fantastic. (It’s already for sale in London but not yet in the US). It’s well worth the difference in price (around $54 to $60 when it hits the US markets), because it really has all the shades anyone might need this year. I’d rather invest my money in that collection than this one.

• 9/16/10 23:00 PoisonKitty:

I completely agree – I bought a bunch of Ulta products a while back and was really disturbed to see they were made in China!!!
      But then I looked at a lot of my Mark. flip-its and they are also made in China! I was very disappointed. However, I did buy this palette without thinking about where it was made, and I like it ok – It has some nice colors but definitely a hard consistency.

• 8/31/10 12:19 telle:

Did you try this palette then, Muse? you likie?
    its sure nice looking!

• 8/31/10 12:24 the Muse:

hi telle just posted this yesterday haven’t tried it no..haven’t been to ulta as of yet hun.

• 8/31/10 12:52 telle:

hey Muse! Just wanted to make sure i didn’t miss a swatch you did! :)

• 8/31/10 13:08 the Muse:

nope hun just posted this, haven’t even purchased yet :) but promise if I do (debating) I’ll swatch and let ya know!

• 8/31/10 12:24 Miss D:

FYI- I don’t know if you’ll still want this once you get it. I gave in and bought one of their single shadows (a basic white) and I don’t like it very much…actually I think I’m going to throw it away. But I have tried a few of their nail polishes and I like them a lot.

• 8/31/10 12:25 the Muse:

thanks miss d. suspect as much ;-D

• 8/31/10 12:25 Miss D:

Oh forgot to tell you the problem I had with the shadow- it doesn’t blend well at all.

• 9/1/10 20:17 Vonvon:

OH dear…. :( *sob sob…

I didn’t see this when I was shopping in ULTA….why must all these brands/stores dish out all their goodies after I have done shopping in these places? :(

For $14?? awesome! and the colors are so my type!

• 9/2/10 16:09 the Muse:

vonvon haven’t seen it either yet :P curious about it!

• 9/2/10 20:12 Robyn:

id buy it think it alright realise i have similar colours from other brands , better brands, id use the better eyeshadows , this would end up unused and wasted

im sure its good for someone with not a huge highend collection but yeah im such an eyeshadow snob sorry lol when youve paid double what your foundation costs for an eyeshadow guess that makes me a snob haha

and my stash is nothing on yours bet you have dupes

• 9/7/10 12:29 the Muse:

lol total snob too. I purchased out of curiosity robyn :-D def wanna try just to see if it’s worth it or not…I lean towards not probably :P but one never knows!

• 9/5/10 15:28 Zombii:

Just letting you crazy kids know that starting today that eyeshadow palette is $8. Yes, $8. I got my flyer in the mail yesterday (complete with a $3.50 off a $10 purchase) and I think I’ll buy it without bothering to hit up the store. I’ve had good luck with Ulta shadow singles and a few of the minerals too. Granted, I swatched them all in store first, there are some suck shades, but that’s why you’re able to check it before buying. :)

• 9/7/10 9:48 the Muse:

after I buy it zombii damn :-D

• 9/6/10 0:01 Storm:

Update ladies: This week, this sucker is $8…and while some shades swatch lightly, the browns and the purple are quite lovely. For $8…I had to buy it in name of experimentation.

• 9/7/10 9:46 the Muse:

damn storm thanks for the heads up and just after I buy it..murphy’s law.

• 9/7/10 9:52 Storm:

Oh no! Sorry hun! This is why you need an Ulta Rewards card–you get the flyers and coupons. It isn’t a bad palette for what I paid for it :-)

• 9/7/10 9:58 the Muse:

grrrr! more of a sephora girl storm but at least I got 20% off if that counts for anything :D

• 9/17/10 14:21 Storm:

It does! But the Ulta rewards is free..just like the VIP. So I have this and I have tried it. It isn’t so bad. Kind of…soft, but nothing impossible to work with. The green and gold stayed on all day with minimal creasing. But I also used UDPP and NYX jumbo eye pencil in Milk…

• 9/17/10 14:31 the Muse:

hey storm I got it but haven’t tried it yet ;-D it looks gorg in the pan!

• 9/16/10 23:02 PoisonKitty:

The one good thing I will say about the Ulta eye shadows is that I really don’t even need eye primer and the shadow will stay and not crease – crazy, but I just put a little bit of contact solution on my eye lid before I apply shadow (read that make-up tip somewhere), and especially the Sandstone color doesn’t crease.

• 9/17/10 13:57 the Muse:

awesome kitty quite excited to hear how long wearing they are ;-D contact solution? never heard that one :D