Musings of the Day: Gifted with Makeup

Musings of the Day Gifts

Damn that was fast. The wrapping paper has been cleaned up, cookie crumbs are laying around, and the Christmas Tree in your living room is starting to suffocate you and you’re wanting to stuff it back into storage.

Yes, that went very fast indeed.

So who gifted you with makeup this year? And what did they gift you with?

Any good hauls?

Share ‘em with me!

I got no makeup for Christmas. I think my friends and family pretty much have me pegged for the girl that has it all in the makeup department so they didn’t bother. I did get some Philosophy Shower Gels and perfume gifts but everything else was pretty much gift certificates (got a few Sephora ones, SCORE!), clothes, electronic gadgets (geek here!), DVDS, books, games, etc…..

How about you?

Did you family or friends gift you with makeup?

What kind?

Spill it here!

• 12/28/10 12:11 Marina:

I got a couple Sephora cards, so I got the Urban Decay Pocket Rocket in James, Korres face primer, and the Urban Decay Show Pony palette (I had every color but Mildew, but I figured since it was on sale AND 20% off, $16 for Mildew, a zero pencil, and mini primer was well worth it–plus I had read your review on Mildew, and I knew I needed it since I have brown eyes!) For Christmas from my family I got the Tokidoki Robbery Palette, the professional size Urban Decay primer potion and just some little applicators :)

• 12/28/10 12:23 the Muse:

SWEET marina ;-D great pressies! TokiToki palette is fabs isn’t it?!

• 12/28/10 13:43 Marina:

It is a great palette! I love the blushes and the lime green (Soya) is actually really wearable (not that I care much–I love brights!)

• 12/28/10 14:01 the Muse:

hell bring on the bright marina ;D!

• 12/28/10 12:19 Candee702:

My boyfriend got me the Cham Pale collection with a few Stylishly Yours items thrown in. Just what I wanted!

• 12/28/10 12:22 the Muse:

awww so sweet Candee ;-D your BF is awesome!

• 12/28/10 12:25 Storm:

The Mr. bought me two M.U.F.E. eye shadows (the neon pink and bright turquoise) and two Sephora by OPI nail polishes. They’re things I picked out to use the “gift card” Sephora sent.

• 12/28/10 12:33 the Muse:

nice storm ;-D love MUFE shadows :D!

• 12/28/10 23:14 Storm:

And books–he bought me lots of books for our kitchen collection!

• 12/29/10 9:41 the Muse:

books are always the best gifts storm ;D!

• 12/28/10 12:30 Cali:

I got a Tartan Tale eye palette from MAC, and some bath and body works treats.

• 12/28/10 12:32 the Muse:

SWEET cali ;D!

• 12/28/10 13:31 JoElla:

The trio bought me the Tocca Eau de Parfum Viaggio
    set and the hubby bought me the Modern Classic palette from Bobbi Brown.
    Mom and Dad bought me a new bottle of Tressor

And I bought myself the last Falling in Love TSV from QVC

I was a good girl this year ;)

• 12/28/10 13:43 the Muse:

ha Jo :-D I wish I can lay claim to the same fame of being good ;-D but good hauling the FiL TSV I was good and didn’t go there ;-D lovely pressies from the hub and family :D! Hope you had a WONDERFUL holiday dear!

• 12/28/10 13:34 Emily:

I gave my friend the Mac hello kitty pink fish and some handmade bath fizzies :)

I got a Mac 109 & the clarisonic mia (pink).

i also bought myself vintage selection pp, rose ole beauty powder, and 2 mac fix+ lavenders lol

• 12/28/10 13:42 the Muse:

sweet Emily, you’re a fab friend ;-D Pink Fish is a rare one ;-D Great hauling on the Mia, enjoy it ;-D!

• 12/28/10 13:42 Gemma:

I got …
    benefit porefessional,
    benefit christmas lipgloss set,
    mac cyndi lipglass,
    chanel loose face powder,
    two mac brush sets.

Hope you had a brill christmas Muse xx

• 12/28/10 13:48 the Muse:

nice Gemma!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;-D It was gorg thanks sweets ;-D Hope yours was amazing too! long time no speak!

• 12/28/10 13:59 tina:

dang, i got no mu, no gc, no money either…

• 12/28/10 14:00 the Muse:

awwww tina poo! but other good stuff yes?

• 12/28/10 14:17 Brooke:

I received Benefit Creaseless Cream Shadow/Liner in RSVP and Flatter Me. Also got some Korres Body Butter in Melon <3 Love the smell, but am too cheap to splurge on it myself :)

Non MU related, yet equally exciting – Starbucks GC! :)

• 12/28/10 14:21 the Muse:

brooke check out marshalls and tj maxx, my sis always finds korres there for 50% or more ;-D

at the gift of champions, starbucks gc! #SCORE!

• 12/29/10 13:17 Brooke:

I had no idea they had Korres there! Thanks, Muse! You rock!

• 12/29/10 13:55 the Muse:

my pleasure brooke, I didn’t either but readers kept telling me plus my sister hauled as well ;D!

• 12/28/10 14:22 Anna korczynski:

No makeup, but I selfgifted the Smashbox Eye Wish palette anyway ;)

• 12/28/10 14:24 the Muse:

ha anna self gifts are the best kind imho!

• 12/28/10 14:24 jonnie:

my BF wouldn’t know where to begin with makeup (although he got me some great stuff for sure! A watch, a big jewelry box, and many autographed baseball cards, yay!), but I did, um, gift myself with a few things…

Hello Kitty body splash (from the new Sephora collection… it’s fab! I think it actually smells kinda similar to the LE Japanese Majoromantica perfume)
    HK eyeshadw cream sticks in Birthday Cake and Cotton Candy
    Vera Wang Princess perfume
    Bella Bamba (haven’t received it yet)
    And I got Coralista as a 500-point perk
    BPAL Egg Nog (which I actually don’t like, sigh) and Gingerbread Poppet (yum!)

I gifted myself a couple other things too, but these are the cosmetics…

• 12/28/10 14:32 the Muse:

aww jonnie he sounds sweet ;-D and fab hauling on the beauty bits ;-D how’s HK smelling?! was debating on it ;-D

• 12/28/10 23:09 jonnie:

He is very sweet… I’m a lucky girl. :)

I actually really like the HK. I can smell a few different fruity smells with an underlying sweetness that ties them all together… kinda reminds me of one of those tarts with cream and fruits on top. Yum! Like I said, it also kind of reminds me of the Majoromantica you reviewed earlier. Not a dupe or anything, but similar.

Also, happily, the smell seems to last quite a while with the body splash, which I didn’t really expect. It dies down a bit but at the end of the work day I could still catch a whiff… overall I like! I will probably buy again if it’s not LE.

• 12/28/10 14:33 Polarbelle:

I think everyone knows I’ll buy the makeup I want when it comes out and when there’s sales online, but I did get a $50 gc to Nordstrom which I spent on the new Chanel. :)

• 12/28/10 14:35 the Muse:

ha polarbelle same here ;-D most people avoid gifting me makeup! I got a nordies GC too :D!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 12/28/10 14:33 LOLBeauty:

I got a clarisonic mia, Tocca perfume set and a sam fine dvd!!! m so excited.

• 12/28/10 14:34 the Muse:

sweet LOL! ;-D good hauling hun! Loving the Tocca set, so cutes!

• 12/28/10 14:45 TrippyPixie:

I got the Tarina Tarantino Starchild Odyssey Palette, and Stila’s Color Wheel Eye Shadow Palette. I now have enough eyeshadow to last me quite a while. But no complaints. XD

• 12/28/10 14:50 the Muse:

trippy the color wheel is super ;-D enjoy your goodies hun!

• 12/28/10 14:57 Cj:

I didn’t really get any makeup gifts, But I did get a TON of gift cards! Sephora, Ulta, Bath&Body Works, Lush, the Salon&Spa I go to, Starbucks, Paneras Bread, Armani Exchange, Best Buy. It’s crazy! The first thing I’m going to have to buy is a new wallet to hold em all lol :P

• 12/28/10 14:57 the Muse:

SWEET CJ! want me to come over and help you spend?! hehe ;-D! gcs are awesome particularly when the semi annual sales are ON! yeah baby!

• 12/30/10 13:31 Cj:

I’m definitely gonna need help to spend em all now lol I just got like 10 more yesterday for my birthday ;D

• 12/30/10 13:40 the Muse:

dude seriously? no fair ;-D bday and xmas?! man.

• 12/30/10 13:46 Cj:

Yep ;D Christmas the 25th, Birthday the 29th and New years Eve the 31st lol, Is it any wonder why December is my favorite month :P

• 12/30/10 13:49 the Muse:

can we switch? I wanna haul hard ;-D

• 12/28/10 15:28 Kristen:

I got money so I bought makeup with that. I got Quietly Please and Flustered from the Cham Pale collection and Style Curve and Something NEw from Stylishly Yours. I also go the Philosophy Gingerbread Holiday set from sephora only $12! Couldnt pass that up.

• 12/28/10 15:30 the Muse:

SWEET kristen ;-D great hauling. Money works for me ;-D hehe! I didn’t get any cash but got some nice gc’s that made up for it!

• 12/28/10 15:52 Anitacska:

I got the two Art Deco highlighting palettes that I asked my sister to buy me in Hungary! Other than that, I just bought whatever I wanted to get over the lead up to Christmas. Will use some of the money my Mum gave me for Cham Pale and Stylishly Yours.

• 12/28/10 16:00 the Muse:

anita awesome, love art deco ;-D weeeeeee should be releasing soon if not already in UK ;D

• 12/28/10 16:22 lillia:

I got (beauty wise):
    ulta giftcard
    sephra giftcard
    lemon the body shop lip butter
    nice kit from the body shop (lemon)
    the body shop giftcard
    lip gloss and mascara – drugstore ://

• 12/28/10 16:24 the Muse:

sweet lillia ;-D nice hauling hun! got an ulta gc too, was unexpected actually as I shop Sephora a bit more than Ulta but a nice surprise none the less! enjoy shopping with your gcs ;D!

• 12/28/10 16:25 auroragyps:

I got the Hard Candy Xmas Nail Polish set and a bunch of Sinful Polishes, including 4 greens, from my Secret Santa from the message board I frequent.

I gave a personalized Franken polish to my SS giftee and I have another one to send to a friend once I’m done making her late Xmas/housewarming gifts.

I got my self the UD <3 NYC BoS when it came out and considered that to be my Xmas gift to myself. Then UD found some extra BoS II palettes, so I picked up one of those. I am loving them both.

• 12/28/10 16:28 the Muse:

how’s the hc set auro? was curious ’bout that. sweet on the BOS II and III purchases yay!

• 12/28/10 20:37 auroragyps:

The HC polishes aren’t bad, but not as good quality as their individual bottles. The dusty purple is pretty, but sheer, so it’ll need 3-4 coats I think. The black just has silver glitter in it, but it’s still nice. The pinkish red jelly is very pretty, with magenta pink glitter. Lastly, my fav is the glittery golden rose color, that looks kind of orangey peach in the right light, but sadly has a short & wonky brush. It’s just cut at an angle though, so I think I can make it work.

Yeah, loving the BoSes (?). Only thing is that I now have so many Half Bakeds, Zero liners, & mini Primer Potions, I’ll never go through them all. I’m going to throw a liner & a PP into the gift I send out to my Goth friend though. She doesn’t wear a lot of makeup really, but I figured she might like them anyways. As long as the stuff gets a bit of use, instead of me keeping them and them sitting on a shelf.

• 12/28/10 16:55 Cait:

i got a sephora gift card and i managed to snag the GHD on the sephora.com extra 20% off sale! I only paid $130 for it….$100 after my gift card! Score!

• 12/28/10 16:57 the Muse:

sweet cait good hauling hun ;-D!

• 12/28/10 16:59 Cat:

I am actually kinda sad….didn’t get any makeup this year. Nada. :(

• 12/28/10 17:02 the Muse:

aw cat *hugs* go buy yourself some eh? ;-D on SALE hehe!

• 12/28/10 18:43 Cat:

ah, see here’s the thing…I am on a permanent no-buy! :( I have spent way tooooo much this year on m/u so I am forcing myself to use my stash. That’s why I am really hopinh to win one your blog contests hehe ;P

• 12/28/10 17:34 Deb:

I did get UD naked palette and I’m loving it! But I’m thrilled with my biggest Lush haul ever.

• 12/28/10 17:58 Julia:

my mum is currently on a mission to stop me from buying makeup and refused to buy me anything even related to it (I asked for one of those trolley drawer things as new storage and some makeup books) but I did get a lot of other things. Like a Buzz Lightyear alarm clock that uses buzz quotes instead of a normal buzzer. <3

But my Dad gave me $150 cash for christmas and my stepdad caved and bought me 12 Sleek palettes and the UD palette as UD isn't sold here. Love him lol

• 12/28/10 19:53 cheyenne:

bf bought me the UD nyc book of shadows! and his mom bought me a $25 sephora giftcard :3 i’m extremely happy

• 12/29/10 10:06 the Muse:

yay! happy spending chey! enjoy that GC!

• 12/28/10 20:11 Sara:

These past couple of months felt like xmas with all the awesome beauty stuff I’ve been getting (makes up for years of financial drought keeping me from purchasing anything other than a new mascara once every few months and indie mineral foundation every other year or so), so I was pretty much covered by the time it rolled around. My friends and I had an exchange of mostly UD stuff: palettes, shadows, etc.. and a few misc liners and glosses. Nothing too fancy, but it’s always nice getting makeup. :D Makeup and nail polish, can’t go wrong with those!

Score on your Sephora giftcards! Oh, don’t forget to find some Ulta coupons to bundle with your giftcard! I just got a new one in the mail for $3.50 off a $10 purchase, good from 1/2-1/22 and it has a few extra coupons thrown in. You can bundle further with coupons printed online for cosmetics or in the newspaper and make out like a bandit. I helped my sister grab about $20 worth of maybelline mascara for three or four bucks one time because of Ulta’s sales, coupon, and some coupons clipped from the paper.

I’m sure you already knew that stuff..I just can’t help myself when it comes to shopping and saving money. *rolleyes* :p

• 12/28/10 20:57 Hannah:

I got the UD NAKED palette which I have been wanting for while. And it’s sold out everywhere most of the time, so.. score! ;D I got a Sephora giftcard and some more Urban Decay makeup (e/s & pigments). I also picked up the I Get No Kick pencil & a few other things from the Cham Pale collection. The rest of my gifts are more related to fashion &money. Hope you had a great Christmas! Any new year resolutions?

• 12/29/10 14:39 the Muse:

SWEET hannah nice one dear ;-D It was amazing thanks hun sounds like you had a super one too. Mmm I’m thinking on ‘em! How about you? any major resolutions?!

• 12/28/10 21:03 anon:

didn’t get any regular presents this year (but I bought tons) but did win a bobbi brown lip palette that made my xmas special. it was something I really wanted and couldn’t justify buying for myself. really meant a lot to me because it was my whole xmas so I was really really lucky and grateful. I didn’t need makeup but it felt so good to get a gift I really loved that I’m sure I’ll never forget winning it.

• 12/29/10 10:53 the Muse:

that’s awesome anon :) happy to hear it!

• 12/28/10 22:02 Soo:

I didn’t get much this Christmas. I got some money from the parents and my bf found a Urban Decay Naked palette for me (yay!) but that’s about it. I’ve just been getting stuff for myself. it’d be nice to be gifted makeup though!

• 12/29/10 10:03 the Muse:

soo a naked palette? Happy scoring that hun! ;-D!!!!!!!!! use the $$ to buy your own makeup hehe!

• 12/28/10 23:58 emily:

My husband got me the Too Faced Enchanted Glamourland and *bonus* he let me open it right when it arrived :).

• 12/29/10 10:00 the Muse:

ha emily, spoil sport ;D!

• 12/29/10 0:25 Liz:

My mom got me the big tarte palette, and I got a bunch of random stuff for myself – Benefit cream shadows, Chanel Soho stuff, Korres lippies, Bella Bamba, the list goes on. Really overdid it, oh well. :-)

• 12/29/10 9:39 the Muse:

SWEET liz ;-D Bella Bamba=awesome!

• 12/29/10 1:10 Andrea:

My wonderful family gifted me with the Too Faced Naked Eye Palette, two Essie nail polishes in Hot Coco and Merino Cool, the Smashbox Burlesque train case, and the Jessica Simpson Fancy Love gift set. The best thing, though, wasn’t makeup/beauty related: an iPod to replace the one I had stolen over spring break.

I hope you had a fabulous Christmas, Muse!

• 12/29/10 10:00 the Muse:

awww sweet andrea ;-D love that train case! aw sorry about your iphone, that sucks but at least you got a nice fancy one to replace it eh ;-D It was beautiful thank you, hope yours was fab too!

• 12/29/10 2:20 Elfa:

I was pretty spoiled this year. My husband got me the NARS bento box and my mom got me the new Chanel quint! I might gift myself with the new quad too…:3

• 12/29/10 9:38 the Muse:

elfa I’m coming over, break that bento box out girl!!!!!!!!! lucky!

• 12/29/10 3:05 Mara:

My wonderful bf indulged my love of makeup — with me pointing him to the right direction, ahem — with the Dior Five Golds quint, the Bobbi Brown Modern Classic lip and eye palette, a couple of Rock & Republic blushes (Tease, X-Rated), a Dior Addict Lipcolor in Infamous Pink and a Dior Addict Ultra Gloss in Evening Rose.

• 12/29/10 10:02 the Muse:

LOVELY mara ;D!

• 12/29/10 9:27 Hachi:

My parents hunted down an Alice in Wonderland BOS for me , <3 I'm still staring at it thinking 'I Can't use that! It's too pretty! '
    and they got me an UD Hall of Fame set too (Yay! Finally get to try the Primer Potion!! ) But now I just have to get to my MAC Store to find a dupe for the Timothy pocket rocket :O Love it! But UD isn't avaible in Belgium :(. Any idea what could be a good dupe?

xx

• 12/29/10 9:49 the Muse:

sweet hachi! so happy you got these dear ;-D mmm not sure on a dupe hun :( if I think of anything will post you!

• 12/29/10 10:58 Wendy:

My parents got me a huge load of Fyrinnae samples! Like 15 of them, so excited! They also got me the Smashbox eyeliner gift set (loveee the colors), Nars blush in Sin (my first!) and MUFE #5 :) My best friend got me a couple of e.l.f. items… I think that was it in the beauty department other than some Zoya nail polishes!

My sweet husband got me 3 scents from Victoria’s Secret, all by himself! I actually like all 3, lol, he did good.

• 12/29/10 11:44 Nia:

For the same reason people do not buy you makeup people do not buy me makeup ;)
    But my bf got me a Guerlain Lipstick from the Holiday collection. As much as I love the colour, the packaging is huge and chunky, but it has its own mirror and even a bee on the mirror.

• 12/29/10 12:04 the Muse:

HA nia they know us well! ;-D Love love love it but yes very cumbersome and quite expensive :(

• 12/29/10 17:08 Anna:

My best fiend got me the BE set of magnetic brushes and I got myself the Tarina Tarantino Gold Sparkle eye shadow Pallate, the Dior Holiday eyeshadow pallate- the one with the smokey blue shadow and a Clinique Chubby stick in Cherry Bomb- I love it! Sadly, I think my makeup fixation scares my friends and family when it comes to the gift department.

• 12/29/10 22:26 Daphne Khoo:

Merry X’mas and Happy New Year Muse!

I have been good this year I think as I received soo many damn good pressies this year! Check it out!

MAC Tartan Collection Sweep me off my feet travel brushes
    MAC Tartan Collection lip glosses (5 tubes in a tin)
    Stila Limited Edition Travel Palette in Trendsetting in Tokyo
    Stila Colour Wheel Eye Shadow Palette – you reviewed this! I screamed when I received this!!
    Laurer Mercier Tinted Moisturizer and Foundation Primer travel Set – Woopie! Hearts this!
    NARS Orgasm Dual Blush and Bronzer Set from Sephora – From my Sis!! – wanted to try it for years!
    Laneige Eyebrow Shadow Kit
    Laneige Christmas Eye Shadow Palette
    Kose Esprique Precious Jewel Blusher
    and last but no least…my fave of all!!!… all the way from TOKYO!!
    AUBE Couture Jewel Designing Palette in #04!!!
    Check it out here–>

You should do a review on AUBE’s products soon as it is really fantastic product with excellent textures and packaging!!!

Cheers to all! XOXO

• 12/29/10 23:01 the Muse:

to you too daphne! ;-D that’s a HUGE list ;-D GREAT hauling!!!!!!! w00t! enjoy it all hun! I’ve done a load of Aube reviews already: http://www.musingsofamuse.com/category/aube def need to crack open the green couture jewel palette I got ;-D that needs a special post! love!