Yay or Nay: Is Zooey Deschanel Channeling Her Inner Brit?

I have the biggest girl crush ever on Zooey Deschanel. She’s as cute as a button!

But I’m kinda confused….

As you know she’s the new spokesmodel for Rimmel London and in her recent commercial for Rimmel she kinda does a weird, “Get the Lon-done look” Is she channeling her inner Brit accent? Or is she just pronouncing London in some new and exiting way?

Mmm….

Whatcha think?

Yay?

Nay?

Is that a British accent?

• 1/26/11 16:07 Wendy:

I think she was trying to match with the commentator’s voice without straight up doing a fake accent. It wasn’t really British… sounded more like a prissy American accent you know? She had her head help up and everything “Get the Londun look”, haha.

• 1/26/11 16:09 the Muse:

ha wendy! I ADORE her but she sounded all kinds of goofy! “Get the Lun Done look” ;-D

• 1/26/11 18:06 Julie:

I always laugh wHen she walks by in front of the logo. It’s such an awkwaRd non-sexy walk.

• 1/26/11 19:07 Dana:

HAHA. I noticed that last night.

• 1/26/11 19:08 Donna:

OMG Julie, I didn’t even notice since I was looking at the lengthening eyelashes behind her, but you are right! She just lurches across the screen! lmao!

• 1/26/11 19:24 Julie:

LOL it is so like “I’m late for a meeting.”

• 1/26/11 22:00 Jessi:

HAHA! I thought I would be the only one who noticed. I snorted when I saw as Donna said “lurching” across. I love adore her, but she looked all hunched over and her arm was swinging around wildly.

• 1/26/11 18:50 Tasha:

hmm… to me she doesn’t sound british at all.

• 1/26/11 19:08 Dana:

The first few times I saw the commercial I thought that but never really was paying attention, so when I saw it last night I watch the whole thing. I did hear a bit of an accent change but I notice the weird walk more.

• 1/27/11 9:33 the Muse:

ha dana I think the entire commercial is kinda awkward…!

• 1/26/11 19:16 Donna:

She sounds like me…and yes, I am American. Well to be honest I don’t hear it but I have been told I don’t pronounce my vowels correctly. I do know my sister doesn’t either, and I can hear it when she speaks, for example when she says the word “will”, it sounds like “well”. I also know I don’t even pronounce my own name right since people who are writing it ask me how to spell it after I tell them my name. I must sound like I’m saying, “Dawnuh” or something? But yeah, she is saying Lun-dun.

One other thing that I found amusing. I forget where I read it, but it had to be blog comments, where British women were angry because they don’t have all the Rimmel products available that we do in the US…”Get the London look? We can’t even get the London look in London!”

• 1/27/11 16:46 the Muse:

ha donna “I’m in London but can’t get the London look”…jeez the irony LOL!

• 1/26/11 20:16 Kat:

Phew, glad I’m not the only one who thinks she has a bit of a strange accent thing going on in the commercial! Thought I might have been a bit insane… Her mouth does this weird thing when she says “get the London look” that made it seem like whatever she was trying to do wasn’t natural.

And I am with you there, Muse, on Zooey Deschanel being my girl crush!

• 1/27/11 9:30 the Muse:

oh I love her so much kat. She really needs to make some more films ;-D her indie flicks are so fabs! She was in a mag once…could have been vogue not sure…and they refereed to her as a living doll, so true…she’s just so gorg ;-D!

I agree, her mouth is doing something strange?! the commercial is just awkward!

• 1/27/11 0:58 s.p:

I dont hear an accent at all..?

• 1/27/11 7:40 lily:

hello! as an english person i can tell you that that is more like the way the word ‘london’ would be pronounced in a neutral english accent. if she’d said it in her own accent i think it would have come out sounding more like ‘lun-din’, at least to an english person, so i appreciate her effort!

• 1/27/11 7:41 lily:

ugh i was trying to sound polite but i ended up sounding massively patronising, sorry!

• 1/27/11 9:21 the Muse:

no worries lily it’s a “just for fun” post :)

• 1/27/11 11:41 anonymous:

I think it’s meant to be a slogan kind of thing.

Get the Lon- “Done” effect. Like when you get your hair or nails or makeup done. So you use the mascara, you look like you just got your MU done in London.

London comment just uses her inner Brit to make the pun out of the word, which of course is an olde english tradition ;-)

Gotta love Zooey. That whole wide-eyed Beatlemania Monty Python thing just using her expressions & demeanor. Reminds me a little of Olivia d’abo.

• 1/27/11 12:19 Mary the Muse Militant:

Have to put my 2 cents in !
    I’d say it definitely sounds like an English accent but it is a slight bit nasal if you know what I mean.
    A bit like Peter Griffin with his nasal ways ?!?
    I know she isn’t English but that is a good impression.
    No-one here in England would know she wasn’t English.

Cool walk – stompty stomp :) He He