the Muse’s Mailbag: What’s the Best Eyeliner for Waterline Use?

mail bag

Today’s question comes to us from Choon-Hee. She wanted to know the best eyeliner for using on your waterline.

Let’s take a look!

Dear Muse,

I’m Asian and have very oily lids and eye area. Eyeliner slips away easily and I want something that will wear all day on my waterline. I like Urban Decay’s 24/7 Eyeliner Pencil but they don’t wear all day on my waterline.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you!
Choon-Hee

I recently discovered Mally Beauty Evercolor Automatic Waterproof Liner. Now this isn’t yet sold outside of kits and sets that Mally does for QVC but it’s well worth tracking down on E-bay if possible.

I’ve been using it for a month or more now and can comfortably say that it’s the best liner I’ve ever used for waterproof wear on my waterline.

Evercolor Automatic 2

Evercolor Automatic 1

I put it on in the morning and it pretty much gets me through at least 8 hours of wear. It really doesn’t budget and that’s saying something as most eyeliners fade away when applied in this area but not Evercolor Automatic, it simply stays put all day!

Love this stuff.

It’s truly the best eyeliner for lining the waterline with!

Hope this helps!

Got a question?

Use the contact form to “Talk to the Muse”.

What’s the best eyeliner you’ve used on your waterline?

• 4/7/11 13:11 Jamie:

For me, Urban Decay’s Perversion lasts a long time. None of the other colours from UD last as long, though.
    Also, MAC’s waterproof eyeliner (the one you twist up) lasts pretty long, though possibly a bit less than UD’s Perversion. But I like the MAC ones because I can use more than just the blackest black.
    Tarte EmphasEyes also lasts on my waterline about the same as UD’s Perversion, but I have to run it across several times to get the colour I want (which means I feel like I go through it quickly) and, the last I checked, their colour selection is poor.
    I want to try MUFE’s Aqua Eyes and now Mally’s Liner. I wish Mally’s was sold in a physical store!

• 4/7/11 13:15 the Muse:

jame excellent recommendation on UD Perversion, agreed, really does wear long ;-D

• 4/7/11 13:18 jessr:

This isn’t high end, but i love Revlon Colorstay pencil liner for the waterline. This has worked the best of all the liners I have tried.

• 4/8/11 0:33 Christine:

is it the one that is twist-out? I have that one for some reason, it doesn’t stay on my waterline at all but is super tough to remove from my upper lash line. It’s different on everyone I guess. Sucks because I loved that it didn’t need to be sharpened.

• 4/7/11 13:31 Jennifer:

from what I’ve tried the longest lasting liner on my waterline has been Make Up Forever’s Aqua eyes liner….UD liners last about an hour less than the MUFE one but yeah I get about 4 hours wear before I need to reapply which is a lot better than other liners which are gone within an hour on me

• 4/7/11 13:53 the Muse:

jennifer I get really good wear from MUFE too, not quite all day but def lasting ;D!

• 4/7/11 14:28 BV:

Okay, this is just my 2 cents but even though I use UD also (perversion should be made permanent – immediately!) I think that it can sometimes be too smooth and not dtry enough to last a long time. I got a pretty good result with Revlon colorstay mechanical pencil on my waterline – and I think it was because it was more like a kohl texture… I recommend that at least.

At the end of the day your eyes are going to water. Water will dilute the waterline – simple as that. You may want to carry around a mini pencil of UD Zero in your makeup arsenal and give it a going over during the day. That’s what I do anyhoo…

• 4/7/11 14:30 the Muse:

thanks for the rec bv ;-D I’m sure she’ll appreciate it ;-D!!!! agreed on UD perversion by the way, that’s the blackest black I own!

• 4/7/11 17:14 iiReem:

For me it’s Neutorgena’s Nourishing Eyeliner . It doesn’t smudge for the whole school day , a whole eight hours ! It even makes it through gym , with a little smudging , but it’s nothing a quick touch up won’t fix .

• 4/7/11 17:16 iiReem:

And it helps , for any eyeliner you use on your waterline , to get a cotton swab , and run it over the waterline a little .

• 4/7/11 17:25 Perry:

ooh, thanks for the reco! Have been looking for a new eyeliner…

• 4/7/11 18:05 Harshleen:

That’s a great tip, Muse! I just googled and this Mally beauty liner is available individually at amazon for 14 bucks. I gotta try it now!

• 4/8/11 9:53 the Muse:

awesome Harshleen ;-D good find!

• 4/7/11 21:07 winni:

Guerlain kohl eyeliners, also eastern Indian eye kohls/ kajal. Best I’ve ever used, last all day in waterline. The L’OrĂ©al HIP kohl eyeliners work too.

• 4/8/11 1:54 Quinctia:

Came here to post this very thing. While I haven’t splurged on the Guerlain ones (yet), the HIP Kohls are phenomenal. It takes a little practice to apply them neatly, but it’s worth it.

• 4/7/11 22:53 Isis:

My greatest eyeliner is mally! mally all the way, I spent years and a fortune finding a decent liner…. finally got the ever colour starlight ones… so in love with them. catrice is also good enough for a budget one. I find smashbox jet set drying but they do last a while.

• 4/8/11 0:49 reeny:

annabelle smoothliners are amazing!

• 4/8/11 11:45 Ruth:

I saw a video on youtube from Kandee the makeup artist and she recommended after you line your water line pat it down with black eyeshadow using your angled eyeliner brush to set the eyeliner. It can’t hurt to try it!

• 4/8/11 11:47 the Muse:

black eyeshadow on your waterline ruth? I think I’ll skip that one :) Your waterline is pretty wet so adding powder in the area would prob def give you a case of raccoon eyes ;-D or irritate your eyes, I’ve never used powder on my waterline before, cream is suits me best ;D!

• 4/9/11 1:01 Cara:

Great post! I never line my waterline because it never stays put! Now I know :D

• 9/27/13 9:15 Joyce:

One of the makeup artist from IMATS Sydney actually recommended a Korean brand Kim Won Hee Real Lasting Waterproof Eyeliner 24hr, I was lucky enough to find it one of the Asian Cosmetics shop in Sydney, hard to track on ebay. After using it to tighlight, i got a solid 10 hours without transfering… I’m Asian with oily lid too, btw :))