This or That: Why Buy This, When You Can Buy That For Cheaper!

Here’s a case study for the savvy shoppers that offers some of today’s most popular beauty products and their beauty budget counterparts.

Jump!

I hope you found a great way to save some money with some of these more budget friendly options.

Happy shoppin’!

• 4/4/11 10:50 Lorraine ER:

I recently picked up that Benefit mini set since I’ve neve tried the tints before. It’s awesome for someone new to the products to test them out without shelling out full-price but the bottles are *really* small. Just so everyone knows!

• 4/4/11 11:01 the Muse:

hey lorraine I have the fullsizes already but thought it was a killer deal as a try me set rather than dish out for all three ;-D!

• 4/5/11 2:45 Soo:

yes! totally came by to say I picked up the sample set of tints cause I barely use stains and individually, the price is whack..

• 4/4/11 10:55 Vijaya:

What is the ‘this’ that’s marked 32 bucks right above the $3.99 option?

• 4/4/11 11:00 the Muse:

Chanel Ombre d’eau fluid eyeshadow vijaya :)

• 4/4/11 20:01 Vijaya:

Thanks! I was a bit confused because the packaging doesn’t give any hints as to what it is, xD

• 4/5/11 12:08 the Muse:

my pleasure vijaya ;-D

• 4/4/11 11:04 Kat:

How do the Avon pads compare to the Miracle Worker? I totally love the sampler of the MW pads I have, but really am trying to “save” money :)

• 4/4/11 11:18 the Muse:

kat I’m about 8 days in but can’t say as of yet ;-D promise to update soon!

• 4/4/11 11:28 Ludwig:

Hey Muse, what is the Clarisonic dupe that you have pictured?

• 4/4/11 11:38 the Muse:

The Nutra Sonic ludwig :)

• 4/4/11 16:39 Michelle:

Got one in each size NutraSonic makes & love ’em both… Returned my Clarisonic!

• 4/4/11 11:34 Mary the muse Militant:

The Benefit tints are expensive in single full size so the trio is a great way to get them even though they are wincy.
    The Avon peel/pads sound like a good bargain if it matches the Philosophy one, so will be patiently awaiting your review on that !
    The Clarisonic is so expensive but worth every penny. Not sure how good the other cheaper make is though so I can’t compare.
    Some products I’ll pay through the nose for and others I buy on the cheap.

• 4/4/11 11:53 the Muse:

Mary same here, really depends when it comes to budget stuff ;-D toss up, some good, some bad ;-D agreed on the Benefit ;D!

• 4/4/11 12:59 Mia:

I’m surprised that for the Clarisonic that the “that” wasn’t Olay Professional Pro-X Advanced Cleansing System (~$30). It’s so fantastic. Every night I use it I wake up with hydrated and acne free skin.

• 4/4/11 13:05 the Muse:

aw sorry Mia, I’ll try to add that one in next round ;-D thanks for the rec

• 4/4/11 13:53 JoElla:

I have the Olay cleansing brush and love it! Scored it dirt cheap with CVS cash and coupons plus a free cleanser. I think I paid 16.23 for this combo. I didn’t get the Pro-X cleanser but one from the regenerist line, and my cleansing brush came with a really good sized sample of the Pro X cleanser. (I haven’t tried the pro x cleanser yet, but will soon)

I debated a lot about the Mia or even the Nutrasonic (sp?) for a long time. I think what let me towards the Olay was the fact that it didn’t use the ‘sonic’ method and uses a rotation method. I have read that the Clarisonic can cause broken capillaries in some, and I am very prone to them.

I have had mine for almost 2 weeks and really love it. It only takes one minute, and I can do it with my eyes closed in the shower. (if I use it at my sink, I always get a bit of cleanser in my eye. Why I can use it with eyes closed in the shower and not at my sink?! I don’t know! LOL)

I have also tried it with various types of cleansers and was only disapointed when I used my Garnier hydrating foam cleanser and Noxema. Maybe it was just the texture of those cleansers. But I love it with my Olay and 2 different L’oreal cleansers.

Anywhoo, enough rambling from moi! I love “This instead of that” ideas! They always have great options for products that many are curious about!

• 4/4/11 14:30 the Muse:

Jo that sounds rather brilliant ;-D I’ll have to check it out!!!!!!!!!

• 4/5/11 2:49 Soo:

also, totally loving posts like these, Muse! ;D

• 4/5/11 11:21 the Muse:

glad you likey soo 😉

• 4/5/11 13:26 brici:

i loved this<3 you can have this or you have that ….like that hamster comercial lol

• 4/5/11 13:35 the Muse:

ha brici! ;-D <3 that commercial!

• 4/8/11 21:16 Ashley Michèlle:

Recently stumbled across your blog, and I love reading your reviews – especially on the Kenzo skincare line, since I’ve been terribly tempted to buy from there for many, many moons…

But, with that said, I still have to say – the Clarisonic is worth every last cent, and I spent the $225 for the PRO brush. Still haven’t landed the perfect cleanser to accompany it yet, but finding the right one is half the fun!

• 4/12/11 11:47 the Muse:

hi Ashley happy to hear you’re enjoying my past reviews :) Yup, I really enjoy mine as well but I wanted to offer a cheaper option for those who don’t have alot of cash to throw around on a brush :)

• 5/7/11 19:00 Anna:

I love those ulta smoothie smoothies, they smell amazing!!!!!!!

• 12/15/11 15:18 MC:

Longtime lurker – but this post had me wondering if you’ve tried the Sirius Skinsonic cleanser? After some research I went ahead and made the purchase and am awaiting shipment (my first cleanser of this type) and was just curious what you thought about it.

• 12/15/11 15:20 the Muse: