Beauty Most Unusual: Barbie’s Take On Puberty Circa 1970

Growing Up Skipper

I thought it was funny and a bit too grown up for little girl’s when one of Matte’s Monster High Dolls literally waxed poetry about her hairiness and how she had to tame it with a razor (CLICK!).

But I’m always up for something equally fabulous which is what led to my recent discovery of a 1970 Barbie Doll, who…has something very interesting to show you.

Jump!

In 1975, Growing up Skipper was released much to the horror of some parents.

Basically the doll started off flat chested and with a rotation of her arm she’d go through some sort of instant puberty phase and develop breasts right before you eyes! Wild right? Don’t believe me? Check out this video.

Beauty Most Unusual?

What do you think?

As for me, I’m immature enough to admit that I laughed when I seen it.

Sorry, it’s my inner teenage boy.

• 5/3/11 16:26 Phyrra:

That’s crazy!

• 5/3/11 17:25 InĂªs:

I’d say scary!

• 5/3/11 17:36 alizlovescherry:

It’s so damn funny, I laugh until my jaw break.. lmao!

• 5/3/11 18:05 the Muse:

lol liz ;D

• 5/3/11 18:44 B.B.:

I would’ve been all over this when I was a kid. My Barbie’s were kind of floozies, though. That’s probably what I deserved for building them an apartment complex.

• 5/4/11 9:50 the Muse:

lol bb! mine were kinda too also they were pretty much subjected to many a scientific experiment ;D!

• 5/4/11 19:20 B.B.:

Lol. I’m imagining a tiny Frankenstein scenario. One of mine had an unfortunate encounter with an Easy Bake Oven but past that they just got really bad haircuts. And dated the Michael Jackson (circa Thriller) and Donnie from NKOTB dolls, which was probably more traumatic for them.

• 5/5/11 10:56 the Muse:

omg bb I had a retro moment…I had jordan…I forget about those dolls oh wow…LOL!

• 5/3/11 19:52 Lauren S.:

God help you if you have an inner teenage boy!

• 5/4/11 9:49 the Muse:

lol lauren!

• 5/3/11 20:02 SJG:

My best friend had this – we loved her! Skipper up until then was so dorky and geeky, it was a relief! I also had the paper doll set – no, the paper dolls didn’t grow, one was “little” Skipper and one was “big” Skipper.

• 5/4/11 9:49 the Muse:

omg sjg…memories…I had paper dolls ;-D I had the holly hobby ones and a slew of others…gosh so nostalgic

• 5/3/11 21:01 Eve:

Huh…I wish I could change my breast size when I swing my arm!

• 5/4/11 9:25 the Muse:

lol me too eve me too!

• 5/4/11 0:45 Sydney:

I have that Skipper doll. It was my moms when she was young.

• 5/4/11 9:23 the Muse:

ha Sydney ;-D brilliant!

• 5/4/11 10:29 glitterwitch:

Lmao!!! Oh if only you had to swing your arm one way to pump ‘em up and the other way to deflate them! Wouldnt life be sooooo much better?

• 5/4/11 10:56 the Muse:

I’d love to swing my arm for an increase ;-D lol!

• 9/26/11 9:41 Majick:

It certainly would make some yoga positions easier for me. LOL

• 5/4/11 15:20 Majick:

OMGosh – I have to laugh about everyone and their Barbie stories. I will never admit why my little Tuttie lost a few fingers – (nope, lips are sealed). Was that her name? Barbie’s twin cousins or something? Tuttie and Todd?
    I also had a Ben Casey doll that had the appropriate anatomical bump. As kids we thought this was hysterical and wondered why Ken and his friends didn’t have one. We infiltrated the GI Joe camp across the street to check them out but soon discovered they were batting for the other team. LOL (oh and no ‘bats’ to speak of)
    Since I don’t have kids I’m not privy to the new toys on the market – I think that’s a good thing. Thanks for the nostalgia.

• 5/5/11 0:39 Liz:

I had one of these! It was a pain because she wore a different size from Barbie, even after “puberty”.

• 5/5/11 18:21 Giselle:

oh boy, those questionable barbie play times! by the way… can somebody come over here and crank up my arm?? haha

• 5/6/11 11:16 the Muse:

lol be right over Giselle I’ll do yours if you do mine!

• 9/24/11 6:41 teresa:

I had this barbie when I was seven. I LOVED it, and I wasn’t that much of a doll girl. The whole ‘growing up’ thing was just fascinating to me at that age. I wish they still made them.