Illamasqua Skin Base Foundation

Illamasqua Skin Base Foundation

With new second skin foundation formulas on the rise, you’ll be seeing a lot more of your favorite brands introducing their version.

Illamasqua Skin Base Foundation is the latest to join the ranks.

Illamasqua Skin Base Foundation ($42) creates a natural, skin-match finish. It promises a hydrating formula that controls shine and smooths skin while offering an HD, second skin finish.

I’ve never actually tried any of Illamasqua’s base products so count me curious about Skin Base Foundation.

I’m kinda on this kick to try every single one of these new second skin foundations at the moment to see which are the best!

Available now at Sephora and Sephora.com

Whatcha think?

• 3/21/12 10:47 Cj:

I’ve been hearing a lot of contradicting reviews on this. Some people say its like the second coming and others say its just overhyped crap lol. I’m gonna wait until I can try it in person instead of jut buying it online. Have you tried Nars’s new TM yet?

• 3/21/12 10:51 the Muse:

nars new tm kinda has me meh tbh! haha I’ve been reading overhyped reviews a plenty…I always get a little scared when I hear TOO many raves!

• 3/21/12 10:55 Cj:

Omg really?? What don’t you like about it? I’m kinda inlove with it lol. It’s the first TM I’ve used that I don’t actually need to moisturize before hand.

• 3/21/12 10:56 the Muse:

it seems to glow on my face, not good when you have a full face ;-D!

• 3/21/12 11:48 Christina:

Phew, I thought I was the only one who didn’t like the Nars Tinted Moisturizer. I wanted to so badly (because of the hype), but I thought it had too much of a glow and I could not, for the life of me, get any of the colours to match. Alaska was too dark, Finland was too pink!

• 3/21/12 11:53 the Muse:

i had issues getting a match too christina and def too much glow for me. my face is just too full for it :(

• 3/21/12 12:07 Cj:

Have you guys tried powdering afterwards to get rid of some of the glow?

• 3/21/12 12:14 the Muse:

can’t do too much powder, dry skin :-(

• 3/21/12 13:09 Phyrra:

I wish they carried it in my shade at Sephora. They only seem to carry the ultra pale shades in the UK. I purchased one of the Illamasqua foundations in PF115 and it’s a great match for my skintone. For this one, I think I could wear the shade 3 (from the UK site), but I don’t know if it’s the same as the 3.5 on the US site.

• 3/21/12 16:12 Nadia:

I bought the Skin Base foundation a while back from ASOS. This is obviously before it became available at Sephora…

Anyway, my thoughts on it are that it’s faaaar from feeling like a second skin foundation. It’s quite a thick product and if you aren’t careful with it, it can turn cakey fast. While I don’t have a Beauty Blender, I’d hazard a guess and say this is a foundation that would benefit from being applied using the BB. Maybe THEN it’ll feel like a second skin?! I’m mostly baffled at how this is described as feeling like a second skin. It just doesn’t for me. By the way, I have normal skin with a slight bit of ‘combination’ going on.

I’ve heard that buffing the hell out of it also improves its finish. Personally, I don’t like to buff my face too much because in the winter my cheeks can get dry.

All in all, it seems to take a LOT of work to make this look good IMO. It’s definitely a product you need to work with. Not a slap it on and go type thing.

• 3/21/12 16:16 the Muse:

aw thanks stinks nadia! thanks for the heads off, it’s off my list now ;-D

• 3/21/12 16:55 Nadia:

Muse, I actually came back here to say that it’s not that it’s a ‘bad’ foundation. It’s only that I don’t see how it qualifies as being one of those ‘second skin’ types. And that it takes a bit of work/care to look good. But when it looks good, it looks good! I’d grab a sample if you can to see what you think :-)

• 7/31/12 11:04 christmas:

omg they came out with a white one.
    Just white.
    I bought it and mix it with my bb cream to make it paler/ less yellow.

• 7/31/12 11:20 the Muse:

I didn’t see that! Brilliant!