Beauty Most Unusual: Too Much Hand Sanitizer? Slam It Back! Cheers!

chug it

Ok, so I’ve come to the realization I do indeed own too many of those cutesy Pocketbacs from Bath and Body Works. I also realize I’m an utter anal germ-a-phobe so I over use hand sanitizer.

But no worries…

You can use it at your next party or gathering, forget the Tequila, slam back the hand sanitizers (please don’t literally do this!).

Gawker reports that teens love drinking hand sanitizer! And hey, it’s cheap as day old chips and you don’t need to be 21 to get your hands on it.

Granted, in my younger life we ate glue, yes, it happened….but that was in the dark ages BHSWP (before hand sanitizer was popular).

According to the article on Gawker six teenagers in the California have had to go to the emergency room this year after getting lushed up on hand sanitizer.

So how potent is hand sanitizer anyway? Can we get any really get a buzz off it?

Yup, you can at a whooping 62% ethyl alcohol which makes a 120 proof liquid.

A few swallows of hand sanitizer can make a person’s speech slur, their stomach burn, and other drunken stupors follow that will basically send teens (or stupid adults) to the hospital for alcohol poisoning or worst.

Moral of the story?

Yeah, those Pocketbocs from Bath and Body Works smell good enough to drink but please don’t drink them.

Beauty Most Unusual for sure…Dunno if I’d be crazy enough to chug hand sanitizer even in my stupid youth!

• 4/25/12 16:12 Cj:

Mmm tequila

• 4/25/12 16:19 Tigress:

The youth of America never ceases to amaze me with their lack of intellect.

• 4/25/12 18:58 meep:

Wow. Rude. Youth are definitely smarter than the older people in America. ****SOME**** just choose to make bad decisions to look cool or be funny. If you looked around, you’d see many smart young people walking the streets. You just choose to see the bad things in life. Sad.

• 4/25/12 20:47 the Muse:

not sure if older are smarter than younger or younger are smarter than older meep…I think there are stupid people all over young and old ;-D I think tigress was just being too general there it’s def not only young folk, stupidity is something that spans generations haha….! this just happened to be one example of younger folks doing something silly but yup, older people have had their fair of dumb! no doubt!

• 4/25/12 20:25 Bb:

I wouldn’t say it’s just the youth of AMERICA, I’m quite sure that teens in other countries can be dumb as hell too. I find this rather offensive since I am one of what you call ‘the youth of America’.

next thing you know hand sanitizer will require a certain age to purchase. -_- sad.

• 4/25/12 20:46 the Muse:

just depends on the kid I think not so much an entire generation of teens ;-D ha probably…….! like eggs at halloween!

• 4/26/12 12:18 Boone:

You see this kind of thing more in America because of our ridiculous legal drinking age. In many countries, 16-18 year olds can go to the store and buy beer, so there’s no reason resort to drinking hand sanitizer (or mouthwash, or whatever) to get a buzz. In America, however, you can be old enough to defend your country in the armed forces, but not to order a glass of wine at dinner. Amazing!

• 4/25/12 16:24 Cj:

Damn you enter button lol. Are kids really that desperate to get drunk to drink hand sanitizer? I mean that’s so completely stupid. I wonder if stores are gonna stop selling hand sanitized to minors now. There was a huge thing about bath salts in Florida a couple months ago, apparently kids were melting it and injecting it x_x

• 4/25/12 16:33 the Muse:

lol! i guess so..I never understood the entire whip it trend either…! HOLY CRAZEE Batman! Seriously? That’s absurd W.T.F. that’s really oddball behavior.

• 4/25/12 16:43 kimkats:

They aren’t really “bath salts” – that is just how they were sold so people wouldn’t suspect that they were really drugs. Here’s a bit of an article from webMD about it:

WebMD talked about bath salts and other designer drugs with Zane Horowitz, MD, an emergency room physician and medical director of the Oregon Poison Center.

First of all, what are bath salts?
    “The presumption is that most bath salts are MDPV, or methylenedioxypyrovalerone, although newer pyrovalerone derivatives are being made by illegal street chemists. Nobody really knows, because there is no way to test for these substances,” Horowitz says.

Why are they called bath salts?
    “It’s confusing. Is this what we put in our bathtubs, like Epsom salts? No. But by marketing them as bath salts and labeling them ‘not for human consumption,’ they have been able to avoid them being specifically enumerated as illegal,” Horowitz says.

Hth – a lot of people are really confused by the name, and I guess that was the whole point of calling them that. :)

• 4/25/12 20:49 the Muse:

i love you kim lmao!

• 4/25/12 16:54 Tina:

This was on the news last night and I was “What the heck?!!!” They showed all these teens filming themselves chugging hand sanitizers. Shakes head.

• 4/25/12 17:12 eight:

I’ve heard of teens dipping tampons in alcohol and inserting them, uh, rectally. I enjoy a drink or two now and then, but alcohol is never worth burning your insides for D:

• 4/25/12 20:48 the Muse:

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa wth for!?

• 4/26/12 1:28 Mia D:

You get drunk faster if it’s “consumed” through your butt. The downside is that it’s easier to get alcohol poisoning.

• 4/26/12 9:05 the Muse:

wow I am NOT in the know…seriously?!

• 4/25/12 17:56 Alanna:

Ewwwww, it has to taste terrible!

• 4/25/12 20:48 the Muse:

maybe the pocketbacs taste as good as they smell lol?

• 4/25/12 17:58 Maggie:

Wow, I was never that much of an idiot. Children these days…

• 4/25/12 20:48 the Muse:

aw maggie don’t say that…we’ve all had those “OMG was I dumb” moments ;-D

• 4/25/12 19:36 Taylor:

Really? I mean, just wow. Mind blown.

• 4/25/12 19:36 Sarah:

Jeez…How dumb. If I didn’t remember how stupid I was as a kid, I wouldn’t believe this! ha

• 4/25/12 20:49 the Muse:

oh lord I’ve had my fair share of dumb sarah ;-D haha!

• 4/25/12 20:27 Hailey:

Don’t judge America’s youth based on these six idiots were not all that stupid lol

• 4/25/12 20:46 the Muse:

aw lol hailey! I def don’t. But I gotta say the youth of today is def not my own youth. You guys are WAY difference and far more advanced than my generation ever was ;-D!

• 4/25/12 21:13 Icequeen81:

I have 2 gingerbreads one for my purse and one for home. I want one in a berry smell

• 4/26/12 4:07 Mara:

REALLY?! REALLY?!..ew. That’s just gross, and kind of stupid and just WOOOOOOW!!!

I go “Yuck” after accidently touching my hands to my mouth with antibac on them, can’t imagine chugging it down.

• 4/26/12 8:41 Sarah S.:

Also, the media love to sieze on some tiny group of people doing something bonkers and call it a “trend,” as if six or even sixty kids doing this dumb thing would really mean it’s a trend we should be concerned about *rolling eyes*

• 7/3/12 4:02 Seig!!!:

Dude you hard working people just do not want teenagers to get their hands on the good stuff because your lives are way too miserable and you think that telling teenagers not to that you’re like superior to them, Like heck, Dude, do me a favour and go buy this Hand Sanitizer drink half of 250ML and be on your way to OMG LAND! – Bad ass boy! – Dude come on seriously try it out, oh no wait, I mean, DONT try it because then there will be less for me ;(