I Wish These Came In Better Shades

NYX Butter Gloss

I freaking love NYX Butter Gloss but I wish the shades were more forgivable! Some of these colors make me look like evil dead girl.

Tried ‘em?

• 5/30/13 18:07 Georgie:

It would be nice if they came in some shades that weren’t white based. I can’t imagine any of those shades apart from the red would suit me either.

• 5/30/13 18:09 malinda jane:

I have them in peaches and cream and peach cobbler. I’m lucky when it comes to lip colours because I can pull off just about any shade because I’m so porcelain pale, except anything that’s like super super light.

• 5/31/13 10:00 the Muse:

malinda so jealous! these are def shades that will work incredible with super fair skin :D

• 5/30/13 19:04 Zadidoll:

I have a few and love them. Works better if you line your lips then apply the gloss over the lined lips. My issue is that while I love the butter gloss if you eat or drink anything you have to reapply and I typically forget to carry one with me when I got out so I end up with naked lips.

• 5/30/13 20:25 Anne:

I have the same problem with these! I LOVE the formula but the colors are not my jam. I have one (Apple Strudel) and it’s a great product but the color is just OK. I know I would buy the crap out of these if the shade range was better.

• 5/31/13 9:39 the Muse:

agreed Anne!

• 5/30/13 20:38 Mel:

I LOVE these butter glosses. I must say that as a WOC (woman of color) I am always happy to try out new NYX products, because they are usually very pigmented. With my caramel skintone and pigmented lips, its a breath of fresh air to put something on and actually see more than a light wash of tint! Sorry you had such trouble with them!

• 5/31/13 9:39 the Muse:

great formula right mel? :-D oh no worries…! It’s just my lips I guess, I end up look like a zombie with paler shades like this

• 5/30/13 23:45 beautybabbling:

I know! These sounded so great when I saw they were coming out, but when I started seeing the shades, I got really sad. I can’t do milky colors. Like you, they make me look dead. Ugh! There’s 1 or 2 colors I could maybe pick up, but that’s it. *sigh*

• 5/31/13 9:52 the Muse:

same here :( I mean anyone who can do shades like this is damn lucky, they are DAMN hard to pull off!

• 5/31/13 4:59 pockykami:

I just ordered some through cherry culture. Buying in store makes me nervous since they aren’t sealed. I hope they work out. I heard the smell is really nice.

• 5/31/13 9:14 the Muse:

good luck pocky :) hope they work for you!

• 5/31/13 9:40 Caroline:

Agreed! I have two shades (Meringue and…something else? LOL) and they both give me those weird, purple lips. Not the best look. But they smell sooooooooo good!!

• 5/31/13 9:52 the Muse:

sigh :( same here…not only purple but some are super mod pink shades :-/

• 5/31/13 10:40 mkdallas:

I have to say that I think these are the bomb diggety! They were a recent discovery and although the shades are mostly duds for me, Tiramisu is about the best nude gloss I’ve ever found. Definitely not concealer lips with this one! It’s a mostly opaque, warm toned peach-infused pinky beige. Although it looks muddy in the tube, it’s really pretty on the lips. Muse, we have similiar coloring and I suggest you try this shade. I’ve seen pics of you in similiar shades on your blog and I think it would look great on you. They also last a looong time and aren’t sticky at all. I do wish they would make some shades that are less neon.

• 5/31/13 10:43 the Muse:

hi dallas :-D def tried it and it is a nice shade :-D thanks for the rec! I agree most of the shades were duds for me too but there is a shade or two here well worth it ;D

• 6/1/13 12:42 Tori:

I definitely fell in love with these and bought just about all the shades I could find in my Ulta… The formula is amazing, and the scent isn’t overwhelmingly gross like most other lip products I’ve encountered. Fortunately, I’m super pale, so they’re a little more forgiving as far as colors go. Though some ARE still too pale, even for me.

• 6/25/13 9:47 sheila:

i have peach cobbler, meringue and strawberry parfait. since i’m asian, and my skin tone is yellow, most colors just don’t suit me. i look like a dead girl, or a zombie. wish they produce shades for warmer skin tone

• 6/25/13 11:00 the Muse:

shelia I had the same issues!