Banish Blackheads with the Innisfree’s Brush!

Innisfree Blackhead Out Brush

Let’s see I do believe I’ve tried just about everything to banish blackheads! A stick, a serum, a mask, strips, a hot gel, a scrub, a peel, a powder, even a sponge…there’s been a lot of efforts to attack those pesky, deeply embedded blackheads on my nose. The one thing I haven’t tried is a brush!

Yes, a brush!

Innisfree Blackhead Out Brush is a brush that supposedly buffs blackheads away.

Hmmm I’ll try it but count me skeptical!

The Innisfree Blackhead Out Brush has diagonal cut bristles making it easy to fit the contours of your nose. Simply add cleanser to the brush and brush it around the areas you have blackheads (in my case that would be my nose) and this supposedly banishes them by loosening them up with the dense bristles of the brush so they’ll “brush” away as you cleanse.

I’ve used plenty of exfoliating treatments in the past around my nose and can’t say it did much grabbing at the deeper blackheads I have around this area. However, I’ve tried such a smaller brush to do so. Perhaps this could actually work!

Sigh me up!

At the least it’ll maybe mattify my shiny nose right?

Right!

How do you attack those pesky blackheads around your nose?

• 7/22/13 10:01 Fro:

How curious! Any idea where I can buy one to trial it?

• 7/22/13 10:11 the Muse:

ebay is best fro :-/

• 7/22/13 10:06 Icequeen81:

welll I have tried the same methods you use, even adapting my diet, I have on my chin too, but those white bumps that don’t seem to go out. I need a miracle 2. Hope this brush work, It must be a dupe for it hopefully.

• 7/22/13 10:53 Caroline:

Icequeen, your white bumps might actually be milia, not comedones (blackheads or whiteheads)! Milia are little pearly balls of dead skin cells trapped in your skin tissue (not associated with a follicle). They can be extracted, but that’s a job left to the pros. So you might try a professional facial to get rid of them! :)

• 7/22/13 12:47 Icequeen81:

@caroline, thank you for your response, I tried several times with a pro, but is kind like she never goes there, I had sometimes two sessions in a month. I want to get red of them.. Thanks for the info now I know better.

• 7/23/13 12:28 Nina R.:

Milia are covered by a fairly thick coat of actual skin, so you need to go to a dermatologist to get them removed. A PA in the derm’s office can probably do it, but a facialist is not going to be able to get them out because you actually have to pierce the skin.

• 7/23/13 12:45 Nat:

What I have kind of look like milia, but they aren’t – if I squeeze them, a long string of sebum (or whatevs) comes out. If I don’t squeeze them, they never go away – and if I do clear them all out, they come back anyways. :( Sadness.

• 7/24/13 19:12 Alanna:

Nat: What you have are probably sebaceous filaments, you can google them! They are unfortunately just kind of a part of your skin type and you can’t do a whole lot except cover them up. I have them all over my T-zone and I have crazy oily and sensitive skin.

• 7/24/13 21:39 Nat:

Oooh, I have never heard of this before! I definitely have those too…but what I was mentioning in my comment is completely different. They are small, flesh coloured bumps with no visible pore/head, in various places all over my face (no zone in particular). And when I say a “long string of sebum” comes out, I mean looooooong. Super long squiggly – much longer than either a blackhead or the sebaceous filaments you describe.

• 8/13/13 18:04 Alanna:

nat I think those ones are called sebaceous hyperplasia! a BHA exfoliant will probably help.

• 8/13/13 18:22 Nat:

I’m actually thinking they might be just regular whiteheads – I went researching after you mentioned sebaceous filaments, and I had always assumed whiteheads were actually always white – turns out I had them confused with papules/pustules. But it seems like every website has different definitions for different kinds of acne – so confusing! XD

• 7/22/13 10:41 Rachel:

Have you tried Paula’s Choice BHA? I use the 2% on my face every day and spot treat my nose with the 9%. The stuff is awesome and really keeps your pores clean.

• 7/22/13 10:59 the Muse:

I have not but thanks for the rec will have to try!

• 7/23/13 23:23 Elizabeth Far:

I love your site, Muse! I’ve looked at it for YEARS, but this is my first comment. :)

I second the Paula’s Choice recommendation. :) I’ve battled blackheads for the past twenty years and cystic acne for ten, and, in my years of experience, here are the two things that work for blackheads: a thin layer of BHA gel (salicylic acid) applied under a thin layer Differn (or Retin-A).

A topical BHA treats the blackhead area by unplugging blocked pores. The Differn stimulates collagen growth, which shrinks the size of pores.

Friendly advice is to go easy on the strength of both products, and start off applying this every other day so that your skin does not get too dry. I apply Jojoba Oil if my skin gets flaky.

Prescription Differn or Retin-A can be pricey if insurance will not cover it. (It was covered for me because of the cystic acne.) However, the price is worth it because it actually works!

Anyway, you have the most lovely, clear skin; I really can’t see any blackheads on you, but I wanted to share my thoughts with the Muse! :)

• 7/27/13 14:01 Lu:

I 2nd the Paula’s 2% BHA! Very good daily treatment with noticeable improvement on my nose and chin. (Et tu, chin?!!?). Have been using this product for the last 6 months.

Thanks so much Racheal for the 9% suggestion. Bought some last week after reading your comment. What a difference! Amazing. :) Smoother skin, and blackheady areas seem less so and with tighter pores. Excellent supplementary treatment. Thank you for the tip!

• 7/22/13 10:59 Beautybeatmanila:

Can’t wait for your review!!!! I’m a huge Innisfree fan :)

• 7/22/13 12:20 Christine:

I anxiously await your report! I have tried scrubs, strips, a metal extractor, toners…no results.

• 7/22/13 12:36 the Muse:

prob not gonna be all that great :-D I’ve tried everything! I’d find irony in the fact if it did work!

• 7/22/13 12:24 Laura:

I use the deep cleansing brush on my MIA, and it works decent – but I can tell I need a better clenser (did you see Proactives has one now?)

So the MIA should be similar to this brush – right?

• 7/22/13 12:36 the Muse:

i haven’t tried those so can’t really compare to the mia laura sorry :( I didn’t so proactives new cleanser…works on nose blackheads by chance?

• 7/22/13 14:06 Rose:

I actually have the Missha blackhead brush, which is similar to this one, but it’s not slanted, although I don’t think that makes too much of a difference. I don’t have too many blackheads to begin with, but the Missha one along with a good AHA/BHA cleanser really made a noticeable difference on my nose. I have fewer blackheads, but my blackheads are not particularly deep, so I’m not sure how it’ll work for you. You have to be persistent with it though! I saw results only after daily use for around 3 weeks. I only use it at night since I find it to be a bit too much for my skin day & night.

• 7/22/13 14:31 the Muse:

the only where I hace blackheads are def on my nose, they drive me nuts ;-D Perhaps I can at least wriggle the one or two deeply embedded ones with this hehe!

• 7/22/13 14:53 Rose:

Good luck with this product! I just have blackheads on my nose too, I could probably get away with no bb cream if not for my nose, oh the woe.

• 7/22/13 14:55 the Muse:

thanks rose! I have like three or four that I JUST CAN’T wriggle out! No matter what I do! Even extraction proves difficult with those buggers! So hopefully a little scrubbing action will wriggle them free ;-D

• 7/22/13 20:01 Chelsea:

I have a really similar Missha brush, but it has a tendency to not want to dry all the way, making me worried about mold.

• 7/22/13 21:00 Jeannean:

Caolion makes some interesting looking products for blackheads and large pores. If I still had some of the problems I had when I was younger I might try this. Maybe they can send some samples?

• 7/23/13 0:13 Nat:

Has anyone tried the method where you steam your face and then use one of those little metal devices to push the blackheads out? It didn’t do much for me, but I think maybe I didn’t steam my skin long enough first?

• 7/23/13 9:27 Amiee:

Have you tried the Mario Badescu Silver powder? I think that’s what it’s called. It’s just a powder and you moisten and cotton ball, dip it in the powder, and press it on your blackheads. Wait a couple minutes, rinse off, and they’re gone! Works for me! And it’s not too expensive and lasts forever!

• 7/23/13 9:29 the Muse:

there’s a link to my review for it in this post amiee :)

• 7/23/13 9:33 Amiee:

Didn’t even notice! It’s too early for reading comprehension apparently. :-P

• 7/23/13 10:39 the Muse:

no worries :) I did a buncha links to a variety of products I tried within the post :)

• 7/24/13 20:47 jnee:

Ooh, Daiso has one of these! Except that one isn’t a slanted edge. I’ve heard good things about it, but they’re ridiculously hard to find. I’ve gone to all the Daiso’s within an hour’s driving distance and still haven’t found it yet. I would assume this works the same.. I’ll wait for your review on this.

• 7/26/13 22:37 JCauth:

RetinA, or other retinoids can help loosen the blackheads, but honestly I have several pores that never stay clear. Salacilic acid(sp?)is supposed to work, and although my results aren’t great it helps a little. I don’t think a brush can help much, but it is hard to reach in the corners of your nostrils to clean – so that may help. You could also apply a treatment with the brush.

• 9/13/13 4:50 Kankechan:

Hi, does this really work? Saw it once in store but wasn’t sure if it’s effective…Is there any specific cleanser to be used with this?

• 11/20/14 4:55 Vivian:

What is the conclusion? Pray tell, enquiring minds want to know! :D