Cleansing Conditioners at the Drugstore

drugstore cleansing conditioner

Wen has cornered the cleansing conditioner market for quite a while now but cleansing conditioners are starting the pop up at the drugstore causing what will likely be a major trend for Spring/Summer 2014 haircare.

One of the nicest things about cleansing conditioner is the lack of nonsense and the quick, easy way you can clean and conditioner your hair in a single step! These thick, creamy hair mask-like conditioners act to cleanse your hair as they detangle, soften, and give your hair a smooth finish without parabens or sulfate in many cases!

As a Wen lover I’m actually quite happy to see cleansing conditioners at the drugstore because they are SUPER cheap at around $4-$8 dollars for a generous size bottle. Wen, as you might know, is considerably more expensive.

Here are some new cleansing conditioners to keep your eye out for at your local drugstore!

Bet you didn’t even know about one or two of ‘em!

1. Pantene Color Preserve Cleansing Conditioner $6.99
According to Pantene there new low lather Color Preserve Cleansing Conditioning is perfect for drier, color treated hair for one step cleansing. This thick, creamy cleanser acts to wash your hair as well as conditioner it in a single step.

2. Vidal Sassoon Pro Series Cleansing Conditioner $4.67
A deep conditioning cleanser perfect that rinses unwanted oil and residue away while detangling hair and being perfect for gentle cleansing on color treated hair with a sulfate free formula.

3. Herbal Essences Color Me Happy Cleansing Conditioner $7
Leave your shampoo behind and grab up this gorgeous cleansing conditioner with a luscious rose scent a sulfate free formula that according to Herbal Essences is perfect for color treated hair!

4. Herbal Essences Naked Cleansing Conditioner $7 (Review)
Cleanse your hair in one simple step with a sulfate, paraben, and colorant-free naked formula that adds moisture to hair while it cleanses in one simple step!

5. L’Oreal Paris EverCurl Hydracharge Cleansing Conditioner $7 (Review)
Curl, wavy hair? This formula helps preserve your hair’s natural moisture to reduce frizz curls soft and manageable.

6. L’Oreal Paris EverCreme Conditioning Cleanser $7
This low lather, sulfate-free formula contains omega 3 and 6 to leave hair super soft but not weighted down. It’s perfect for all hair types but the combination shampoo and conditioner is perfect for drier hair types!

7. Pantene Cleansing Conditioner Damage Repair $6.99 (Review)
Infused with Sweet Almond Oil this one step wonder cleanses and deeply conditioners drier, damaged hair.

These one step wonder cleansing conditioners are popping up at drugstores now but expect more as we head deeper into Summer as I see a cleansing conditioner trend that will be happening soon!

What’s your fav cleansing conditioner?

Tried any of the ones above?

Do share!

Disclosure:

This post contains an affiliate link.
Read my full disclosure statement here.

• 4/15/14 10:30 kimkats:

I got a monster sized bottle of Pantene’s Truly Natural co-wash – and I like it a lot! It’s almost a light shampoo as it foams just a bit, but it leaves my hair soft and shiny. It’s dirt cheap, and I think when I empty one of my grossly overpriced Wen shampoos, I’m gonna pour a bunch of the Pantene into there and use the pump. I would never in a thousand years have tried the co-wash method had I not seen so many people champion it; I figured it would just be a means to a massive break out on my face, but so far so good!

• 4/15/14 10:38 Becca:

I’ve tried to use cleansing conditioner but it always seems to leave my hair weighted down and then it gets greasy earlier than usual. Is this just a phase? Or am I using too much? Or more likely, it’s my long thin hair not reacting right. Hmm so should I stick it out?

• 4/15/14 10:57 Isabella Muse:

it depends becca! When I use wen I don’t have a ton of build up but some of these newer drugstore cleansing conditioners I seem to get buildup! I would suggest using it daily if you like but go ahead and clarify weekly to remove excess build up :) I imagine it varies from hair type to hair type but this is what works for me! You really aren’t doing anything wrong, just sees like your hair might be prone to build up!

• 4/15/14 11:24 Gillie:

If you’ve been using shampoo with a good deal of sulfates for a while, there does seem to be a transition phase when switching to something more gentle. Essentially, sulfates strip all the natural oils off your hair and scalp, so your scalp works overtime to replenish. It takes a few washings for your body to realize that it doesn’t need to continue over-producing.

If you’re really intent on breaking the sulfate cycle, stick it out. A decent quality boar bristle brush will help distribute the natural oils down the hair shaft, and strategically placed hair toy or two will help hide the limpness until your scalp regulates itself.

• 4/15/14 21:34 Danielle:

I think there is definitely a period where your hair just sucks after switching to a cleansing conditioner. I had been sulfate-free for many years but my hair went through a really greasy phase followed by a really dry phase after starting to use cleansing conditioners. It took maybe 6 weeks for it to level out and now my hair is in the best condition ever! For the record I have fine, thin, wavy hair.

• 4/15/14 21:35 Danielle:

I want to add that it might take a few tries to find the right cleansing conditioner formula for your hair. I tried 5 or 6 over the course of a year before falling in love with the Herbal Essences Naked one.

• 4/16/14 22:55 Becca C.:

Thanks for all the advice. Muse, you’re right, my hair is really prone to buildup. So I think that part of my issue with trying out this cleansing conditioner. I do wash my hair at least every other day and once a day if I work out regularly. So it probably does have something to do with excessive use of sulfates too.

I’m a teacher and have the summer’s off, so I’ll probably give it a shot then. That way, I don’t have to worry about who sees my transitioning hair on any given day. Maybe I’ll give a few different ones a shot if I don’t like the results. There seem to be plenty of options now.

• 4/18/14 13:10 Isabella Muse:

And just silicones in general they have a tendency to build and build and build ugh! My hair is super long and wavy/curly and Wen is great but it does build up like crazy if I am not careful! Oh you lucky girl! the entire Summer off :-D I hate you! haha!

• 4/15/14 10:58 Liz:

Sally Beauty carries a Wen copycat called “Hair One” that I love and have been using for years. I’ve tried the L’Oréal Ever Creme and hated it, but might have to give one of these others a try.

• 4/15/14 11:00 Isabella Muse:

I never tried Hair One, Harmons has some sort of copycat they carry too but forgot the name of it!

• 4/15/14 11:27 Kimmwc03:

I’m allergic to an ingredient in Wen so I avoid it now (plus the price). I’ve been wanting to try the Pantene one but haven’t yet. I do like Flawless by Macadamia oil which isn’t really a cleansing conditioner but it kinda is. :)

• 4/15/14 11:33 Isabella Muse:

I’ve never tried Flawless!? have to google that!

• 4/15/14 11:40 Elena:

Sadly, most of these conditioners have silicones which explains any problems with buildup or hair feeling weighed down. :(

• 4/15/14 11:53 Fancie:

I’m excited to see some cleansing conditioners in drugstores! I want to try the Herbal Essences one

• 4/15/14 12:03 JoElla:

I have been tempted by WEN many times, but thankfully found out that it won’t work well for the hard water in my area. (whew! moneies saved!)

Tried Hair one, worked great on my son, not so much for me. This also could be due to the water in my area, or user error.

I did pick up the Herbal Essence Naked with the Naked moisturizing poo and conditioner. I love the poo and conditioner, leaves my hair shiny and soft and doesn’t weigh my hair down. And the Co wash one, @Gillie is right, it does have a bit of a learning curve to it. I do like it, but only use it when I am bopping around the house, or at night. I do like it, and would pick up another bottle, but I don’t like it for every day for my hair.