5 of the Best Mascaras

best mascara

So you wanna know some of my favorite mascaras? I narrowed it down to 5 of the best mascaras I’ve personally tried and loved. Believe a list of 5 of the best mascaras to try isn’t that hard to create because I am SO picky about mascara formulas! I’m never satisfied with them.

Anyway without further commentary from me here’s some of my favs!

best mascaras

It Cosmetics Hello Lashes Mascara
This little gem is marketed as a lash enhancing serum, tint, lash comb/curler, and a lash primer all in one. All I know is it gives me thick, curly, fuller lashes in a single swipe with excellent black than black pigment! The applicator has tiny spikes that grab lashes upward and out for longer lashes. If you ever “noticed” my lashes in an FOTD (face of the day) photo and wondered what I was using, well, it was likely this! This one brings the drama!

Maybelline Illegal Length Mascara
If it’s drugstore mascara you seek I’d say Illegal Length Mascara is one of the best I’ve used. I don’t do well with fiber mascaras as I always feel like I have some sort of hair in my eye or under my lid or something equally stupid like that so when Illegal Length hit the scene about two years ago it went on my don’t try list! But I tried it and loved it! The straight line brush has full bristles that works to pull my lashes up and out while the fibers extend lashes and make them look longer and full! This one works hard at volume and length! Loves!

It Cosmetics Tightline Full Lash Length Black Mascara Primer
Ok so maybe it isn’t doesn’t qualify for a mascara but I’ve used It Cosmetics Tightline Full lash Length Black Mascara as both a primer, a tightliner, and a mascara. This one can has tiny little brush that you can wriggle just under your upper lash line to give the appearance of a tightlined finish! Or if you want you can use it as a mascara as it works to create flutter, longer natural lashes that look like you haven’t applied mascara at all! Or hey, is your mascara not working out? Does it need a helping hand? Apply this bad boy prior to your normal mascara to boost things up! It’s a true multitasking demon!

MAC Extended Play Lash Mascara
Far be it for me to rave MAC Mascara! MAC does color right but when it comes to mascara, well, it’s a fail! But Extended Play shocks and delights. This has a simple smallish straight line brushes but that brush works hard to bright the length! Volume is ok but what this one excels at is length, length, lenght!

Tarte Lights Camera Lashes Mascara
No list would be complete without Lights Camera Lashes! Volume, length, curl, this mascara does it all and excels at it too! Most days of my life I’m found wearing Lights Camera Lashes it’s just a powerhouse mascara.

So these are 5 of the best mascaras I’ve tried what’s your 5 look like?

Do share!

• 5/29/14 20:43 Joanne:

I agree with your choice of Tarte’s Lights Camera Lashes. I love it and but it in duplicate. I use a lot of It Cosmetics but I haven’t tried their mascara. It is now on my list. However, I do own the Tightline but haven’t had great results with it. I will try again.

• 5/30/14 9:55 Isabella Muse:

joanne def give it another whirl it has a little learning curve to it but once you get it, it’ll rock your world :D

• 5/30/14 11:38 Joanne:

Isabella, do you use it as an eyeliner or just as a way to reach the bottom of your lashes? I watched a demo on it on QVC and they applied it so it filled in the skin between lashes. They were touting it as a time saver, mascara and eyeliner at the same time. This is where I have a problem. I can’t get the eye lining part to work well.

• 5/30/14 11:40 Isabella Muse:

I use it to reach the bottom of my lashes, I use it all over my lashes to prime prior to mascara, or use it alone as mascara (it’s a nice natural look) or I wriggle it between my lashes and under my upper lash line to give a light line effect. :) does that make sense?

• 5/29/14 21:04 Lacy:

I’ve used two of the 5. It Cosmetics Hello Lashes is the bomb dot com. So glad I grabbed some up during the last friends and family to try out! I agree that it’s also one of the best mascara’s I’ve ever tried and I use it daily. :) it does everything it says and is definitely rave worthy
    Maybelline illegal lengths was my obsession when it debut and i used it religously for years but since i’ve become such a mascara whore in past few years it fell to the wayside but when i find myself in search of great lengths I always come back to this one!

• 5/30/14 9:55 Isabella Muse:

yay :-D happy to hear you love it! mine did too kinda..! I absolutely adored it but I started depending more and more on lights, camera, lashes and many of my favs in this list ended up dropping to the wayside too!

• 5/30/14 2:23 Ruth:

I love Tarte Lights Camera Lashes too !

• 5/30/14 9:50 Isabella Muse:

it’s fab isn’t it? :D

• 5/30/14 9:15 kellly:

I’ve been using that Cover Girl bombshell double-ended stuff every day. I was reluctant to try it b/c I remember those white base-coat thickening mascaras and hated them. But I had a $3 off coupon so I gave it a shot and I’m liking it pretty well. The step 1 is black, not white, so I don’t have the same issues about having to cover it up with the step 2 side. If I’m really going all out I’ll put a 3rd coat of that L’oreal Manga stuff on top but it’s hard to get it evenly applied without clumping. I’m very cheap when it comes to mascara and have never been able to bring myself to pay more than $10 to $12 and even that’s a stretch. The It Hello Lashes sounds very tempting to try, tho . . . .

• 5/30/14 9:54 Isabella Muse:

sigh I tried it but hated it kellly :( I dunno I never have lucky with freaking CG mascaras! :(

• 5/30/14 10:26 Gillie:

I am another fan of Lights, Camera, Lashes! I really like the Tarte Gifted Amazonian Clay formula, too. I find that one is great for drama, as it builds really nicely.

I ran out of LCL recently, and my backup is a sample size of Make Up For Ever Smoky Extravagant mascara. I’m falling in love. I really like the shape of the brush for getting the corner lashes without over doing it.

There are lots of people who maintain that drugstore mascara is just as good as mid-range stuff, but much cheaper. Unfortunately, I haven’t found any drugstore mascaras that I really love, yet. So…Tarte and MUFE it is!

• 5/30/14 12:35 Isabella Muse:

agreed! The Amazonian Clay formula is good too :-D Oh I wish I could say the same the smoky MUFE mascaras never never work for me boooooo! :( AGREED! DS mascaras almost always disappoint me :(

• 5/30/14 11:11 Sara:

I also love the Illegal Lengths mascara! It’s just such an odd name. My other favorite is Bare Minerals Flawless Definition (and Volumizing Flawless Definition) mascara. I use those two nearly every day lately!

• 5/30/14 12:34 Isabella Muse:

god I recall liking flawless definition I should haul that out hehe!

• 5/30/14 11:49 JoAnn Lofstrom:

I have found the Tightline to give me raccoon eyes. I see now there is a waterproof version. Is that what you use? I love Tarte it stays put and does not flake.

• 5/30/14 12:33 Isabella Muse:

I actually have both Joann but thankfully no raccoon eyes :-D

• 5/30/14 11:56 Majick:

3 of the 5 are LOVEs – 2 I have not tried. LOL I guess I’ll have to pick up some MAC extended play and the maybelline one. Although I was never a fan of maybelline. And I really like the MAC one that has the duel brush? I forget the name but it has a skinny brush and a fatty brush for different application styles.

• 5/30/14 12:32 Isabella Muse:

damn the name escapes me but I know what you mean majick! I liked that one too! two mac mascaras that worked?! whoa this should go down in history hehe!

• 5/30/14 13:33 Susannah:

dear Muse, I took notes and I’m going to try at least two of these. Are Tarte and It cosmetics available at Ulta, Target, and/or Sephora?

PS I’m putting a plug in for Lancôme’s Definicils. It’s their best selling mascara for a reason.

• 5/30/14 13:44 Isabella Muse:

Hi Susannah tarte is at Ulta and Sephora but not Target sorry! I’ve tried Definicils and I agree it is great mascara ;D

• 5/30/14 14:10 Isabella Muse:

oops It is available at Ulta but not Sephora or Target! :D

• 5/30/14 20:44 Diane:

THANK YOU for putting this list together. I have teeny weeny eyes and short lashes. I have been using Lancome Definicils for years and as with any other makeup I am tired of it. I tried MUFE Smokey Extravaganza & had pieces all over my eyes after awhile. So far I have found Benefit’s They’re Real to do the trick although the brush takes getting used to. But now I’m so excited with your recommendations that I will have to try them 1 by 1. What a dilemma. Which to choose first?

• 6/5/14 9:26 Isabella Muse:

aw my pleasure diane I hope you like some of these options! I love Definicils too! and MUFE really didn’t do much for me and def flaky as heck :(

• 5/31/14 7:37 Gwen O’Brien:

I love, love , love the Eyeko Black Magic. When my lashes fell out (damn chemo) they never really came back good…but this mascara helps a lot! Oh Muse….we are down to 4 weeks on my grandbaby….I am plotzing!! Can’t wait!
    xoxoxox

• 6/2/14 13:00 Isabella Muse:

OMG! exciting Gwen :-D yay! you must be so excited :-D

• 6/1/14 17:39 Monica:

I bought Tarte at Sephora here in OH. LCL is okay and I really love the MUFE Smoky Extravagant. One I keep coming back to is Smashbox Full Exposure. For drugstore mascaras there hasn’t been one by Maybelline that I like at all but I think L’oreal has the best at that price with the Voluminous Power Volume Collagen or the False Fiber. Used to really like Benefit’s They’re Real but now it’s Smashbox or MUFE. For primers I don’t like Smashbox’s but am a big fan of the one Lancôme has. Muse, have you tried Fairydrops from Japan?

• 6/2/14 12:52 Isabella Muse:

thanks for sharing Monica :-D! I have, I reviewed it a few years ago, actually reviewed a few of the formulas in the past :)

• 7/21/14 2:14 Sarai:

At least I have one of these from this list, haha. Maybelline Illegal Length Mascara, it does a great job of elongating and volumizing my lashes.