Product Recommendations for Oily Skin

oily skin recommendations

It must be Summer now because my forehead and chin are starting to look shiny! If you have combination skin here some great products to try to battle oily skin this Summer.

Jump ahead for Product Recommendations for Oily Skin!

I have dry skin in the Winter but when the warmer weather comes out to play my skin becomes a little more combination. My cheeks are fairly normal sometimes dry but I start to see oil and shine on my forehead and around my chin and just generally around my t-zone. I dislike have a mirror shine on my forehead so to battle the shine I use these two great products to keep things nice and matte!

Once I apply my SPF and skincare and I start prepping for makeup and the very first product I apply is Becca Ever-Matte Poreless Priming Perfector. Ever Matte Poreless Primer is the closet formula I’ve found to Urban Decay’s awesome, brilliant but long gone De-Slick in a Tube.

Honestly, Becca Ever Matte Poreless Priming Perfector works like no other primer I’ve tried before. This is a silicone cream but doesn’t have the powdery set that many mattifying primers have. As you apply it you’ll notice it instantly soaks up excess oil and shine as it blurs the appearance of smaller pores and perfects skin prepping it for makeup. This keeps oil at bay for several hours for me. If you have extra oily skin I won’t promise it’ll keep oil at bay all day but it will fight the good fight for several hours so makeup looks fresh and your forehead isn’t a beacon of shine!

Becca Ever Matte Poreless Priming Perfector

Becca Ever Matte Poreless Priming Perfector Swatches1

After applying my primer I follow up with concealer, foundation, blush, eyeshadow, etc….

Finally to set my look I use Benefit The POREfessional Agent Zero Shine. I LOVE this stuff. As a drier skin girl this powder does not cling to drier area, does not accentuate pores, and it soaks up excess oil like a boss. Plus it’s utterly portable so you can travel with it and swipe it on whenever you need to mop up any excess oil. It even has its own brush which is tucked right into the tube packaging so you can quickly swipe it on! And no it won’t mess up or dull out your makeup when you apply it as it blends to a picture perfect transparent finish! I can’t live without The POREfessional Agent Zero Shine when the warmer weather strikes!

Benefit the POREfessional Agent Zero Shine

Benefit the POREfessional Agent Zero Shine 13

Benefit the POREfessional Agent Zero Shine 9

What are your favorite ways keep your skin matte and oil free for Summer?

Do share!

Disclosure:

This post contains an affiliate link.
Read my full disclosure statement here.

• 6/3/14 11:31 Jessica:

I love ELF HD Setting Powder in the big black container. Great for setting makeup and keeping shine at bay. Also it doesn’t cake or crease in fine lines. Great product and very inexpensive! :)

• 6/3/14 11:32 Isabella Muse:

excellent rec Jessica I have it and it is super cheap and just as good as any HD setting powder from a mid-range brand :D

• 6/3/14 11:59 Sun:

I have super-oily skin and have since puberty (I’m in my early 40s), and it’s the bane of my existence! I’ve tried every oil primer out there and none of them ever kept me shine-free for more than 3 hours, tops, and that included UD’s De-Slick in a Tube. Right now, the best oil-controlling primer I’ve found is Paula’s Choice Super-Light Wrinkle Defense SPF 30. It’s a zinc-oxide based, lightly tinted sunblock (so it doesn’t give you that ghostly white look), and I’m not sure if it’s because of the zinc oxide or what, but that sucker goes on absolutely matte and sucks the oil off my face like an oil-eating creature. I even have to be careful and be sure to moisturize around my mouth first (the one area of my face that is not oily) because the sunblock will accentuate any dry patches. Because it’s a mineral-based sunscreen, it doesn’t make my eyes sting and I apply it generously all over my face and neck. I’m so dependent on this sunblock that I have a tube of it everywhere: purse, car, medicine cabinet, and stock up frequently during their sales.

• 6/3/14 12:29 Isabella Muse:

don’t feel that way sun! It only means your skin will remain younger, longer :-D that’s a good thing :-D I haven’t tried Paula’s Choice but I’ll have to give it a try out this Summer! thanks for the rec!

• 6/4/14 0:27 Sun:

I know everybody says that and I have been told that I look at least 10 years younger, but when your face produces as much oil as an OPEC nation for the last 30 years, I’m SO over it! Anyhow, do try the sunblock; it actually works great as an oil-control foundation primer — color me surprised! PC also makes a mattifier that doesn’t work nearly as well as the sunblock… at least not for me.

• 6/4/14 9:08 Isabella Muse:

i surely will :-D and wouldn’t mind looking ten years younger either hehe! aww believe me you don’t want to deal with dry skin it’s a pita!

• 6/3/14 12:21 evilyn1983:

I AGREE WITH THE BECCA PRIMER! It is my favorite of all time. I have super oily skin, and while I have yet to find anything that works to eliminate my oil %100, this stuff works pretty darn well. I’ve had 1 tube of it for at least 6 months and I am just now running low. I will def be buying more. Other than this one, the too faced primer and poreless is my 2nd fave.

• 6/3/14 12:28 Isabella Muse:

isn’t it great stuff? it quite reminds me of deslick in a tube! :D

• 6/3/14 13:42 Cindy KC:

My favorite combo to combat oiliness is the Hourglass veil mineral primer and the Hourglass Immaculate foundation! I have oily skin and this combo is perfects. For days I don’t want to wear too much on my face I use the Laura Mercier Oil free primer and light application of the Tarte airbrush foundation. I know the Tarte is full coverage but I only apply a little amount to the T zone and I am done.

I am going to check out that Paula’s Choice Sunblock as a primer!

• 6/3/14 15:49 Ash:

I JUST was reading about the Becca Primer last week and thinking that would be my next purchase b/c my skin can be crazy oily. Glad to see you recommend it as well :)

• 6/4/14 9:15 Isabella Muse:

yay! :-D check it out Ash it’s pretty darn great!

• 6/3/14 17:36 Tiffany:

Like many others, I have super, super extremely oily skin. I become a shiny disco ball in no more than 2 hours or so, to the point that even my hairdressers ask if I washed my hair, when I did the night before! The only product that legitimately worked to maintain my oils is the hourglass foundation. However, by the end of the day, my oils are so bad that the product separates on my face (even with touchups throughout the day). On top of that I have super acne prone skin and enlarged pores. Are there any all time products you would recommend for oily oily skin. Ive about tried every suggested product out there, and nothing has been able to combat my shine. Any other suggestions would be much appreciated :)

• 6/4/14 9:10 Isabella Muse:

I honestly don’t have a ton of recs for oily oily skin tiffany because I haven’t really had to contend with the problem myself. Sun just recommended a product about and she mentioned she produces a good deal of oil as well perhaps check out her recommendation!?

• 6/3/14 20:07 Liz:

No tips for oily lids? >_<

• 6/3/14 23:58 Stephie:

I’ve had super oily combination skin (some parts are oily and some are oilier -_-) since I was young, and I’ve been using the Kate Powderless Liquid For Cover as a really great foundation for a year now, topped with either Revlon Colorstay Aqua Mineral Finishing Powder (2-3 hours before oiling up) or Ben Nye Banana Powder (takes almost 5-6 hours before I start oiling up!). However my newfound super base is Almay Smart Shade Concealer all over my face! I couldn’t believe it, it was amazing! It was oil free and lasts longer than my Kate foundation :)

• 6/4/14 9:08 Isabella Muse:

ha no kidding! hey whatever works right? :-D

• 6/4/14 5:09 Ella:

I’ve been using bareMinerals matte foundation it is great but only lasts for a couple of hours for me because of my super oily face maybe I should give this Becca primer a try. I hate the oiliness of my face especially in the T-zone area.

• 6/4/14 9:02 Joanna:

I will be giving Becca a try as well as Paula’s Choice as rec. by Sun. I have oily tone and can be pretty annoying.

• 6/4/14 10:12 Bonnie:

I have to agree with Sun: Paula’s Choice Super-Light Wrinkle Defense SPF 30 is THE BOMB when it comes to keeping oily skin looking fresh and beautiful, not slick. Plus all that great sun protection, who can ask for more? Well there is one more thing to add:

Paula’s Choice is CRUELTY-FREE! They do not test on animals, and that is just another reason I return to the Paula’s Choice site again and again to stock up. Interestingly, another brand mentioned here, Becca, is also cruelty-free.

All hail the cruelty-free makeup brands of the world! Long may you reign!

• 6/4/14 10:53 Tam Darling:

I have to say that the products by Paula’s Choice are amazing. And even better, you can purchase samples before buying a big bottle of something that might not work for you.

As a Pro Makeup Artist I have tried practically all including the old standby of Milk of Magnesium on myself and even some clients. The use of that has become controversial – although I still believe it is highly effective. But Paula’s Choice I found fantastic along with Revlon Photo Ready primer and Ben Nye Powder.