Estee Lauder Closes Prescriptives

prescriptives

“In a long-anticipated move, the Estée Lauder Cos. Inc. said Thursday it will shut down wholesale distribution of its 30-year-old Prescriptives brand by Jan. 31. Products will continue to be available through the brand’s Web site for consumers needing replenishment, until supplies run out.

“A core component of the Estée Lauder Companies’ corporate strategy is to evaluate, and where possible, turn around underperforming brands with the goal of improving return on investment. After a thorough analysis of the Prescriptives brand, management concluded that the brand’s long-term business model is no longer viable given the current market environment. We believe that the difficult decision relating to Prescriptives will allow us to redirect our resources to key strategic imperatives where we see the highest growth potential,” said Freda.

Whoa….just whoa….

This is unbelievable news.   I realize Prescriptives doesn’t have as big a cult following as many other brands but it’s surreal that they are going to close it down completely.

I guess we could have seen this coming since Prescriptives pulled out of Asia not too long ago when it was doing fairly well abroad.   Quite an interesting development and honestly even after shutting down Asian counters I really couldn’t foresee this.

I’m quite upset as I really do love the brand as they have some fun LE released.

R.I.P Prescriptives.

We all love you.

Source
Source

• 9/17/09 20:41 Fresco Phyrra:

Yeah this made me sad. There are a few Prescriptives glosses that I liked :(

• 9/18/09 8:25 the Muse:

hey dd!

sigh it’s the worst right? Oh well :(

• 9/17/09 22:09 jackieg02:

I guess that means I will have to find another HG foundation, concealer, and setting powder. That just sounds like loads of fun. Perscriptives was the only brand that had foundation shades pale enough for my skintone. And I know the SA at my local counter worked there forever and knew the brand so well. And not to mention she knows me by name because I have been buying from her for years. She even sends all her loyal customers birthday and christmas cards.

Its just sad. I have no words.

• 9/22/09 16:28 the Muse:

aw jackie sorry! that stinks :( It really does boggle the mind :( sigh. I wasn’t as BIG a fan as you but I hope you find a replacement love!

• 9/24/09 23:06 Susan Kincaid:

Hi, just stumbled upon this site. jackiego2, I feel your pain. I know their are far worse problems in this country, But I ahve been using this brand for about 15 years. Photocrome and exactsticks are my go to products. And I am not some spoiled young thing. I’m in my 50’s and work retail. I have pinkish skin and it is hard to find shades in other lines. I always felt that Estee didn’t really care whether this brand survived or not. (Total lack of Advertising and such). I am gong to stock up .

• 9/28/09 13:18 the Muse:

hi susan!

aw so sorry it was your HG brand :( Hope you find something new soon! And def stock up :-D

• 9/18/09 3:49 Aldina:

Wow..that’s such a shock. Prescriptives was my first ever “high end” makeup I bought when I was 17 years old and working at the mall. I’ll never forget what I bought. One of my favorites was their little lip gloss tube in Smoothie. Omgosh..smells sooo good! I think I might be stocking up on that while I still can. By the was I love ur site. I check it religiously. :-)

• 9/18/09 8:23 the Muse:

Hi Aldina

Thanks for stopping my so often :-D *hugs*

I just started playing with Prescriptives seriously about a year and a half ago as I really like some of their LE collections. I feel so bad I won’t be able to indulge further and explore the line :( It was well loved by the outcrop of email I’ve gotten in reply to this post. I’m shocked really as I thought EL would axe something else not this.

Sigh.

I hope you enjoy loads of good gloss before it runs out :-D

• 9/18/09 10:28 Mykeshia:

That is really sad. I know that they had some of the best custom foundations. I was going to try that soon. Hopefully the company will intergrate the custom foundation and powder in another brand.

• 9/18/09 10:48 the Muse:

hi mykeshia.

it really is sad :( I sure do hope some of it migrates to other brands in the EL family, one can hope!