Beauty News: Shu Uemura Exits US Market

Sayonara Shu

L’Oreal USA will close all U.S. operations of Shu Uemura Cosmetics shortly. L’oreal reports that the brand had bad results during the recession which of course could be the main reason it’s closing it’s doors to US consumers. However, I’ve always felt like the brand wasn’t as well known in the US as it is in Asia or put out there. Finding a Shu counter is a tad difficult sometimes isn’t it? On top of that the company keeps it’s Asian roots which isn’t a bad thing as far as this Muse is concerned but it’s not as marketed to the western side of the market.

According to L’Oreal USA, the move was made to focus on growing larger brands in their current portfolio and even though Shu does incredibly well within Asia, the market worth isn’t particularly high within the US.

Shu Uemura will continue to leave it’s doors open online but how long that is remains to be seen.

Fare well Shu, you’ll be missed.

Will you miss Shu?

Source

• 3/30/10 10:39 plue:

if Shu left Malaysia, i’ll die? Sorta.

they have excellent brow services and I’m never changing to another one! and i love their makeup and all, so if they leave, i’ll cry :( But sigh, it’s sad to see Shu leave. But I can kinda understand their motive, it’s like how Stila pulled out from Malaysia. haha.

i haven’t heard any news about BE and Shiseido, till now no development? I have been looking forward to seeing some BE stuff at my local Shiseido tho! tee hee!

• 3/30/10 16:19 the Muse:

Haven’t heard much about BE either little sis but kinda waiting on it :-D

I totally understand the feeling, really love Shu, quite saddened to see it go, I imagine it’s a matter of time before they close the website too!

• 3/31/10 21:24 plue:

but why would they close the website? jeez. it’ll be so so so difficult to buy things for you now, isn’t it?

• 4/1/10 12:26 the Muse:

little sis they didn’t :) it’s up!

• 3/30/10 11:14 Tina Matuchniak:

Time to stock up on eyelash curlers!

• 3/30/10 15:52 the Muse:

amen tina :-D it’s a good thing, my shu one actually broke, was about to replace it, now I can convert to another brand, good excuse :D

• 3/30/10 11:49 jackie:

i have almost every shu eyeshadow possible and i love their cleansing oils. sad day :(

• 3/30/10 15:51 the Muse:

very jackie :(

• 3/30/10 11:54 Angel:

oh no! i love their cleansing oil as well as their falsies! so now we have to pay for SHIPPING online???? ughhhhhhh >.<

• 3/30/10 15:51 the Muse:

angel ya sigh. but no worries shu always has good shipping deals :D

• 3/30/10 14:20 Angie Twe:

Hmm… Shu Uemura is a good/amazing company for cosmetics I say.

Well, lucky me is still in Asia and will still see lots of Shu counters. =)

I really enjoyed their makeup, got mine done when I was rushing for Prom.
    Prefect. :D

Hah, I’ll say I’m not gonna miss u that much. :P

• 3/30/10 16:10 the Muse:

angie lucky girl :-D

it’ll be missed here for sure!

• 3/30/10 15:39 LINDARRAGNAR:

wait muse will the products still be available at sephora? :\

thats so sad, anytime a buisness goes out of buisness its sad

• 3/30/10 15:47 the Muse:

not sure linda that’s something to look at….maybe they will axe it and discount w000t! But yes very sad indeed :(

• 3/30/10 16:33 Su:

omg I hope Shu doesn’t leave UK as well..I will die without their oil cleanser
    I just bought another oil cleanser as Kose oil cleanser I bought on ebay didn’t arrive (lucky I get refunded)
    it is really difficult to get shu in UK as well especially in my town
    only small spaceNK carry small selection of shu ( unless in london, there is Shu boutique)
    I have been using their oil cleanser for like 8 years and I do not know why I just keep going back to it even though I find other oil cleansers which do the same job ( must be because it is the first oil cleanser brand I used haha )

• 3/30/10 19:02 the Muse:

it’s kind a pain here too su, not alot of counters around really imho. I think Shu makes one of the best, I can totally relate to your love of it!

• 3/30/10 18:46 Alice:

wait, does this mean it’ll still be available in canada? :D

• 3/30/10 18:57 the Muse:

not sure alice, seems like they are migrating to Asia only but maybe will stick around in canada :D

• 3/30/10 18:53 imprompturoses:

I’m so sad. Muse, do you think this means that they’ll stop selling through sephora? If so, I should stalk sephora’s sale section regularly to see when it pops up. I see some tarte products there now, but no shu products yet.

• 3/30/10 18:56 the Muse:

i imagine so roses. it’s a good idea to stalk as I bet it hits sale soon :-D

• 3/30/10 19:18 Kate:

Planet Cat Collection was the first Shu I ever purchased, but was always aware of the brand. Now that I’ve tried it and love it, I’m sad it’s leaving. Upon reading this post, I ordered a 24k eyelash curler while I can still get one. I decided I’ve got to see what all the fuss is about and try one of these famous curlers for myself!

• 3/31/10 10:23 the Muse:

kate THAT was a great one to start off with :-D the lash curler is thee best :-D You’ll love it aside from the fact you can’t buy replacements grrr but it’s a great curler, I consider it the Cadillac of lash curlers!

• 3/30/10 20:20 keely valentine:

i kinda saw this coming but still shocked!

• 3/31/10 10:11 the Muse:

me too keely!

• 3/30/10 20:45 suz:

OMG a total *shock* grrr I don’t believe what loreal has to say!!!

• 3/31/10 10:11 the Muse:

i know suz :(

• 3/30/10 21:07 ak:

NOOO!!!
    I need their cleansing oil!
    I also heard some great things about their foundations too and I’ve been wanting to try them…
    I’m so sad! :(

• 3/31/10 10:11 the Muse:

aw ak I hear your pain dear!

• 3/30/10 22:33 Comrade_Garlic:

Noooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love Shu. Best falsies ever. I hope the Nordstrom Rack next to work gets some of the stock.

• 3/31/10 10:08 the Muse:

OMG comrade forgot about nordies rack hells to the yes must hit it for discount shu!

• 3/31/10 0:21 Christy:

Muse THIS CANNOT BE HAPPENING!

The glow on blushes are like my favorite! They look super natual on ME!
    I thought they are revamping their line at South Coast Palaza! It was only a couple of weeks ago that I went into their store! -_-
    Will they close every store in the U.S and move to Asia?
    OMG I have to go to the counter and ask them!
    I’ll let you know the final say on it!

• 3/31/10 10:08 the Muse:

christy I know babe I know sigh! ok, look forward to it, from what I understand it’s closing down operations in the US :(

• 4/8/10 12:58 Marjie:

any news on where that leaves Shu Emura hair care in the US?