Beauty Battle: What Holiday Palette Should I Buy?

Urban Decay Too Faced

Ahh Holiday Palettes. There are some monsters out this year eh? Having a hard time deciding which to haul and which to leave? I know I am and what’s equally difficult is not going all out Supermarket Sweep in the aisles of Sephora and just hauling them all!

Which should you buy?

Which is the best formula?

Which has the best options?

Which has the best pigment and formula?

Here’s a break down and a bit of a beauty battle between two popular palettes gracing the shelves of your favorite beauty stores and shops this year and which one I think is worth your buck.

Check it!

Urban Decay Book of Shadows Vol III versus Too Faced Enchanted Glamourland

If you already own Alice or the original Urban Decay Book of Shadows I think it’s safe to say you might want to skip out on Volume III temporarily and haul Enchanted Glamourland. I have a feeling the hype surrounding this third version of UD’s popular palettes has died down and it should be around at least until January or February, don’t quote me here. I don’t think it’ll sell out all that fast during Friends and Family either.

At $54 Book of Shadows also is the considerably more expensive for the amount of product you get. You’ll two eyeliners, 16 shadows, and a mini Primer. However, with Too Faced version for $5 less you’ll get 15 shadows (same size as the shadows in Urban Decay’s palette), a full size primer, a full size lipgloss, blush, and bronzer plus how to get the look cards.

In terms of pigmentation I’d say that Urban Decay holds the winning card. Too Faced has incredible shadows and really great pigmentation however shades included in UD’s palette are considerably more vibrant and win the hand of better color pay off in this case. Both palettes have a healthy dose of shimmery shades to choose from.

Personally I think, in this case, Too Faced Enchanted Glamourland is the way to go if you already own a few volumes of Book of Shadow. You can always grab Volume III at a later date. Glamourland will also likely sell out during the Sephora Friends and Family Event or at the least several weeks before the Holiday if last year is anything to go buy. Where as Book of Shadow Volume III has in most cases been purchased by beauty junkies already giving it a less likely chance of disappearing fast.

Honestly, I adore Urban Decay and I’m was bred, born, and raised in New York but I gotta say I love the packaging of Enchanted Glamourland way better than UD.

I’ll be featuring other palettes and gift sets in this series shortly.

Which will you buy?

Which do you think is the better option?

• 10/19/10 11:17 dina:

you must be reading my search threads! i am debating on a palette for my sister in law for christmas but looking for one with high pigmentation & color variety, pref in the brighter range as her skin is darker. as of now leaning toward the UD deluxe shadow box but still debating, maybe cking out the NP Party set one too? any suggestions?

• 10/19/10 11:33 the Muse:

dina I’d totally go with UD if she’s darker skin. The shades pop in the UD palette. NP Party Set is awesome but she’ll get better quality, shadow wise, from UD. I have the Party Set or maybe it’s the romance one? Will try to swatch and get a review up. It’s NICE! but not as nice as UD’s.

• 10/19/10 11:58 dina:

thank you!! :D

• 10/19/10 12:00 the Muse:

my pleasure d ;-D

• 10/19/10 11:28 jenna:

glamourland for me! can’t wait to get my hands on it!

• 10/19/10 11:32 the Muse:

jenna good choice girl!

• 10/19/10 13:43 peri:

my favorite brands go in this order -
    1. urban decay
    2. too faced
    id go with the book of shadows, just because…i love them, i love their colors. im not too crazy about the packaging, because i have the book of shadows 2 and its pretty bulky, this one, with the pop up looks like itll be way more bulky lol. and while i love the packaging on the too faced one and think its beautiful! the colors dont look near as exciting at the book of shadows.

• 10/19/10 14:13 the Muse:

peri def considerably tamer in the color department here ;-D UD has the more vibrant, popping shades in BoSIII!

• 10/19/10 16:00 Marina:

I have to say that as much as I like my BOS III, I haven’t found the colors as wearable as Alice was…I still love it, because there truly are a couple stand outs. Money and Loaded are my HG shadows now. Probably my favorite I’ve ever used…but I never use Perversion, because I use Zero shadow if I want a black. Uzi just doesn’t appeal to me. Last Call is too red for my eyes. Bordello isn’t too special. Snatch looks just…blagh on my eyes, as does Psychedelic Sister…I have no idea why!
    However, I DO like Loaded, Kush, MCRA, Smog, Money, Haight, Moui Wowie, Radium, and Suspect. Out of these, I already owned three. Once you tame the more glittery shades (I used Fyrinnae Pixie Epoxy), they work wonderfully. I think my problem with this palette is all the deeper colors. Some are just too dark, red, or pink for my eyes. I look sick or bruised XD
    Overall, I would probably pick the TF palette, just based on my experience with this particular palette. I think darker skinned women would love the BOS III. It just didn’t work for me! However, all other UD palette are well, well worth it :)
    Just my 2 cents (or 25…lol…long post)

• 10/21/10 16:01 the Muse:

thanks for adding in your feedback marina ;-D you rock!

• 10/19/10 16:20 ☆Lola A♏ ★:

I have both. lol I love the UDNY packaging better…it lights up! LOL! I like both palettes though.

• 10/19/10 17:30 Heather:

The urban decay one is glamorous. I got my little paws on it a few weeks ago. Buy it now! Great color combos and pigmentation.

• 10/19/10 19:30 Stacie:

I have never owned anything by Urban Decay and I just purchased the BOS III with money my mom gave me for good grades ( I am a poor college student and my parents are awesome).

• 10/20/10 10:01 the Muse:

aw great to hear it stacie enjoy it ;-D

• 10/19/10 20:07 Kimberly:

I got em’ both, but they are both my first large Urban Decay & Too Faced palettes, they are both great choices but I couldn’t pass by either one!

• 10/20/10 9:56 the Muse:

I don’t blame ya kimbery ;D

• 10/19/10 23:22 Samantha S:

I say the Glamourland! It looks amazing and I would love to see swatches :)

• 10/20/10 9:28 the Muse:

I agree Samantha love glamourland!

• 10/20/10 14:11 Ann:

I got my Urban Decay Book of Shadows Vol III more than a month ago. It’s even more gorgeous in real life!

Now I can get Too Faced Enchanted Glamourland as well for the holidays without feeling guilty (it’s been 4 months than since I bought UD BoS III).

• 10/20/10 14:15 the Muse:

Ann totally nailed mine a a few weeks ago as well ;-D so too faced is up next!

• 10/20/10 18:52 Kay:

I hate to admit it but my dear Urban Decay hasn’t been doing it for me lately. I bought the Naked palette not long since but haven’t been excited for their new releases like I used to. Plus their prices have shot up since I started using the brand! BOS 3 didn’t inspire me and I already have no. 2 but Glamourland looks gorgeous, hope the UK release is before Christmas! So nice to have all the different products in one box. Thanks for drawing my attention to it :)

• 10/21/10 15:43 the Muse:

my pleasure kay ;D good luck, I hope it comes to the uk!

• 10/20/10 23:23 LorraineER:

I busted out laughing when I read the line about going all supermarket sweep in Sephora. I just pictured someone booking it into the store and sweeping armfuls of makeup off the shelves into their cart while moving at full speed and shouting! lol.
    As for the palettes, can you believe I’m skipping them both? I need skincare and complexion stuff more than I need eyeshadows right now though. I look forward to seeing which one you get!

• 10/21/10 15:37 the Muse:

lol that would be Lorraine ;-D I already have both lol. so sadly don’t actually technical need either one :D

• 10/21/10 16:14 LorraineER:

Oops! lol. Lucky you ;D

• 10/21/10 16:14 the Muse:

I couldn’t resist *bows head in shame* when glamourland launched On was on it ;D and UD I got during the Sephora NY launch :D

• 10/24/10 21:39 Alexandra:

I bought the UD palette as soon as it hit the sephora site. But I don’t have any of the other BOS’s and didn’t own any shadows.

I skipped the Too Faced palette this year. When it comes to TF it’s all packaging to me. The eyeshadows aren’t pigmented enough for me. I own a few different palettes and their bronzers/blushers are worth it in my opinion.

I ended up buying the KVD tattoo chronicles palette. The eyeshadows are pigmented, the packaging is adorable and the primers are a nice touch. I’m not a fan of the fragrences and eyelashes, but IMHO the palette is worth its price

• 10/25/10 10:50 the Muse:

hey alexandra I’m waiting on my KVD palette now ;-D good to know the shadows are pigmented can’t wait to try it out!

• 11/4/10 0:00 Christine:

Just got Enchanted Glamourland! It’s so pretty…my first non-drug store palette. :D I’m excited!

• 11/4/10 9:38 the Muse:

oh that’s wonderful christine ;-D enjoy!

• 11/10/10 12:01 Ally:

So I just ordered the TF Enchanted Glamourland palette :) God I’ve been so bad on my makeup spending lately!! Oh well :) It looks so awesome and all I’ve heard is raves for it.

• 11/10/10 12:21 the Muse:

ally it’s fab ;-D good choice hun!

• 11/30/10 1:40 Diane:

I was looking for swatches for BOS III and came across this post, and I think I’m going to get glamourland now instead. I’d somehow missed it on Sephora! I wasn’t too impressed with Too Faced’s Naked palette, so hopefully this one’s better, because it looks amazing!
    Besides that, my Shadow Insurance is running a bit too low for my liking, and I won’t buy anything else, so this is the perfect excuse to get a new one!

• 11/30/10 9:01 the Muse:

awesome Diane. I think you’ll be pleased with glamourland! I’ll have swatches of BOSIII shortly if it helps!

• 1/25/11 18:16 Tigress:

I bought Enchanted Glamourland last week, I’m anxiously awaiting it’s arrival.

• 1/26/11 14:57 the Muse:

yay tigress it’s awesome!

• 3/18/11 16:31 Sara:

I missed out on the first Book of Shadows at Sephora, and never had the chance to purchase it. Being in Canada, UD doesn’t ship here so I was super sad. And unfortunately the 2nd and 3rd Book of Shadows really didn’t appeal to me, especially because I have very fair skin.

However, during Christmas time I saw the Too-Faced Enchanted Glamour-land and I fell in love. The packaging really appealed to my secret girly side (I’m that tom-boy that secretly loves feminine and cute things hahaha) I bought it right on the spot and it is GORGEOUS. I can on about it for days. Pretty much the best box-set I’ve ever bought.

• 3/21/11 13:22 the Muse:

sara it’s a really great one ;-D!