I Can’t Wear MAC Russian Red But Sometimes I Like To Make Believe I Can!

MAC Fashion Sets Russian Red 35

Cult favorite, MAC Russian Red is all the rage for lips and tips this season thanks to the new MAC Fashion Sets Collection which pits up coordinating shades in a MAC Lipstick, Lipglass, and Nail Lacquer formula.

What’s better than MAC Russian Red? MAC Russian Red times three! Get that bold, legendary shade of red in a lipstick, lipglass, and nail lacquer formula now for a limited time.

As for me?

I can’t wear it but I had a hell of a fun time trying today.

MAC Fashion Sets Russian Red 36

I call it my Bozo the Clown look! Or Pennywise….yeah, that’s more me. Because, hey, what’s hotter than Tim Curry in Russian Red lipstick!

MAC created Fashion Sets to embrace the current coordinating lips and tips trend. I love this idea but I’m a terrible nail girl! I tend to bite and nibble…so these shades might be reserved for my pedi rather than my mani.

I mucked around with Russian Red today, just for fun, and came out of it look crazy! But hey, makeup should be a laugh sometimes right?

MAC Fashion Sets Russian Red 37

MAC Fashion Sets Russian Red 38

MAC Fashion Sets Russian Red 40

MAC Fashion Sets Russian Red 14

MAC Fashion Sets are available now at your favorite MAC counter or online at maccosmetics.com

Can you pull off Russian Red?

If not, which Fashion Set shades are your colors?

Disclosure:

This review contains a sample product sent for consideration by PR.
Read my full disclosure statement here.

• 5/1/12 10:38 Nia:

I think Russian Red looks great on you, no idea why you do not like it.
    If they make it over to Europe I’ll get rebel and maybe Impassioned.

• 5/1/12 11:26 the Muse:

aw thanks nia! bit too much for me ;-D

• 5/1/12 16:45 Nia:

I think you can pull it off, it makes your eyes really stand out :) Very sophisticated.

• 5/2/12 9:31 the Muse:

aw thanks nia <3!

• 5/1/12 10:56 Vic27:

i love russian red! one of my very first Mac lipsticks!

• 5/1/12 11:03 Dao:

Muse, you look gorgeous with Russian Red! You CAN wear it, my dear!

• 5/1/12 11:26 the Muse:

aw thanks dao! I feel funky with it on ;D

• 5/1/12 11:06 Ruth:

ooo la la!! Muse, you look stunning! RR is great color on you,wear that when you go to flirt with that someone that has caught your eye. how could they say no??

I have the lippie from the Wonder Woman collection and when I wear it, compliments abound.

the only thing hotter than tim curry as pennywise, is tim curry as the darkness ;D

• 5/1/12 11:31 the Muse:

LOL ruth you’re WAY too kind girl! ;-D AMEN SISTA! LOVE him as the Darkness and of course as FF, him in fishnet just gets me HOT!

• 5/1/12 12:14 Ruth:

oh yeah! him as FF in those fishnets, pearls and heels? *swoon*

• 5/1/12 12:17 the Muse:

I’d hit that. :-D

• 5/1/12 11:11 Jeanne:

I think it looks good on you! Especially with the simple eye and face makeup, it’s not too overpowering :)

I cannot seem to find any red lipstick to suit me – I always look like I broke into mommy’s makeup bag and stole her lipstick lol. I can for some reason pull of ANY shade of pink/purple, even shocking ’80s fuchsia so Girl About Town and Impassioned are calling out to me!

• 5/1/12 11:30 the Muse:

aw thanks jeanne you’re too kind! I was the same for a REALLY long time, just couldn’t find the right red, finally I did and now love to wear it..obviously russian red isn’t it though haha!

• 5/1/12 11:26 Sara:

I really like it on you, though! I’ve never had the guts to pull off red lips “anytime,” but I think it’s a good look for special occasions ;)

• 5/1/12 11:27 the Muse:

hey sara! I’m always overwhelmed by by red ;-D I like warmer shades though so I guess it’s all about finding your shade of red!

• 5/1/12 11:47 Larie:

Whhhhaaaat? What is this, “I can’t wear Russian Red” nonsense??? You look gorgeous, girl!!! I told you, you should wear red more often!

• 5/1/12 12:12 the Muse:

you are TOO kind larie thanks! looks a little too clown-y on me :)

• 5/1/12 11:51 Jennifer:

I feel like I can’t pull off red…

• 5/1/12 11:54 Cas:

Uh, I think I just found my Mother’s Day present hubbies getting me! Wants it all!!

• 5/1/12 12:10 AS:

You look glamorous in Russian Red! If you think you can’t wear it, it is only because it does not mesh with your own vision for yourself, not because the rest of us don’t think you look completely fantastic in it!

• 5/1/12 12:15 the Muse:

aw jeepers AS thank YOU! you’re way KIND! HUGS!

• 5/1/12 12:21 Maggie:

I think it looks gorgeous on you! Whether you decide to ever wear it or not is totally up to you, but don’t think that it’s not your thing because it doesn’t look good – it looks lovely :)

• 5/1/12 12:28 the Muse:

aw thanks maggie <3!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 5/1/12 12:47 Tammie:

I think Russian Red looks great on you, but I can see why you feel it wouldn’t for the same reason I don’t wear super bold colors…just too intense!! But rest assured you DO look good in it ;)

• 5/1/12 12:54 the Muse:

aw thanks Tam! def WAY intense ;-D I feel like a clown ;-D

• 5/1/12 14:06 Tammie:

Nah, it’s sexy not clown-y…it’s just that it’s the sort of thing reserved for a sexy night out not like…to work or the shop haha :)

• 5/2/12 16:18 the Muse:

sexy and me don’t exactly go hand in hand ;-D!

• 5/1/12 13:56 Michelle:

I’m a Tim Curry fan, too. This is dating me but have you ever seen an old-school movie from the 80′s called “The Worst Witch”? It’s about a student’s trials and tribulations at an academy for witches and how she’s basically–well, the worst witch student of them all. Tim Curry makes a cameo appearance as some celebrity instructor or something like that. Looking back it’s really ironic because of all of the Potter hysterics that have happened since then. It’s a great movie and a cult fave! You can find clips on YouTube.

• 5/1/12 13:56 the Muse:

are you kidding? like two bazillion times ;-D I tend to reference it around hallloween lol! ;-D when he was singing that was MY ALL TIME fav every scene in that movie ;-D

• 5/1/12 15:24 Kate:

Okay, I’m just going to sound repetitive at this point, but I think it looks stunning on you. I agree with the poster above (AS) that it is simply your own comfort, or lack thereof, that makes you dislike it on yourself.

But I can relate. I only wear red with confidence if it is in a sheer, glossy formula. But I decide to bust out a more bold formula and “work it” in the privacy of my own home sometimes. That sounds crazy, but I think we all do that with some colors/looks. Amirite?

• 5/2/12 16:17 the Muse:

aw thanks kate! you guys are amazing for my ego! ;-D I do that girl! I do the laundry in bright purple LOL but never walk out of the house with it on ;-D

• 5/1/12 16:08 Amy M:

I think that the Russian Red looks great on you! Sexy…

I wear the lipstick all the time for daytime, blotted down to a rich red stain, usually with a neutral eyeshadow and black kitten eyeliner.

The lipglass is nice too, I usually blot that down to a stain too and then put balm on top. It gives me a nice “I just ate a red Popsicle and then put on lipgloss” look.

I don’t think I’ve ever worn them together, though. I may have to try that.

• 5/2/12 13:48 the Muse:

aw amy me and sexy go on now but I love ya for saying so! try it!!!!!!! ;-D

• 5/1/12 18:52 Courtney:

I think you look H-O-T HOT! (and haute) in Russian Red. Seriously, major vamp. Screw the haters!

• 5/2/12 9:02 the Muse:

aw court you made my day thanks!

• 5/1/12 19:12 Barbara:

I can’t wear it either, so I know what you mean. On me, it’s a very dated shade of red. It looks straight from the ’80s and I hate most makeup styles from then. :\

• 5/2/12 9:02 the Muse:

I just look like a big old clown barbara :-/ I totally understand, def a bit dated for me too!

• 5/1/12 23:34 HapaGirl84:

DUUUUHHHH Mamacita it looks gorgeous on you, Muse! You can TOTES pull off Russian Red. It makes your eyes smolder!

• 5/2/12 9:05 the Muse:

aw thanks hapa thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 5/2/12 17:03 Gala:

I shall join the rest of the ladies – you do look very lovely with that hot red lipstick on you. I dont see why not wear it for special occasions.

• 5/4/12 15:36 Lauren Clark:

Why can’t you wear it? It looks great on you! I would like it a smidgen better with a more warm blush, but you can totally rock russian red

• 5/4/12 15:54 the Muse:

aw thanks lauren, you’ve lovely to say so! agreed the blush was washed out :-/

• 5/24/12 20:05 Kimryan8:

I think you look hawt! You can rock the Russian red!

• 6/7/12 13:53 the Muse: