Musings of the Day: Do You Actually Remove Your Makeup with Your Clarisonic?

Clarisonic Aria

I love my Clarisonic as much as the next person. It’s one of the few products I haven’t had a beauty honeymoon with, you know that period where you chronically use a product but after a while shove it to the side and forget about it? I’m quite diligent and religious about using it daily and if I don’t? Well, my skin definitely lets me know.

At one time I was using in both in the AM and the PM but now I just use it in the shower in the AM.

So…question…

Do you actually use your Clarisonic to remove makeup?

I do not.

Not even when I first got it and was learning how to use it. I don’t think this is a skin cleansing brush but more of a skin care brush. I remove all my makeup prior to using it and rely on it to remove anything that perhaps my cleanser may have missed. I also rely on it to just give my skin a deeper clean plus the bristles from the brush exfoliate my skin gently with daily use which in turn allows my moisturizer and foundation to apply with ease.

The idea of actually going in and removing my makeup with the brush just kinda weirds me out as I don’t think it’ll do all that great a job of getting everything off….!

So I use my Clarisonic to deep clean and treat my face but not to remove my makeup.

How about you?

Do you use it to remove your makeup?

Why or why not?

Do share!

• 1/21/14 9:45 Ash Evans:

I have a Clairsonic MIA and have been using it for over a year and I really like mine as well. I don’t use mine to remove makeup either, I guess I figure I minimally have to remove my eye makeup already I might as well take it all off. I use mine once a day at night :)

• 1/21/14 9:54 Isabella Muse:

yeah me too, I have eye makeup on so I’m taking that off might as well just do the rest…! I just use it as a treatment versus an actual tool for removing makeup!

• 1/21/14 9:54 Gina:

I’m with you, I don’t use it to remove makeup. I actually did one time, I was too lazy to remove makeup that night, so I use purity, tried to do a 2-in-1, aka removing makeup and cleaning face, but the brush head was so dirty with all the makeup, I can’t even clean it, so I end up to change a brush head. Ever since, I never use it to remove make up.

• 1/21/14 10:15 Isabella Muse:

it’s SO gross how dirty the brush gets with makeup removal couldn’t agree more. I stick to AM use with a cleanser in the shower!

• 1/21/14 10:59 anne:

I love that term honeymoon phase lol, how many times does that happen to us with a new product- guilty! This is actually my 2nd go around with the clarisonic. I wound up selling mine like 2yrs ago because i wasn’t using it consistently, i know some people use it less frequently. but to me i didn’t pay that much to use it every other or 2xs a week. I purchased mine last Feb, i used it daily to remove my makeup in the night for about 6months and then i switched to just weekdays. my skin was getting a little drier in the cold months and i don’t wear makeup on the weekend anyway, but i always remove it first with cleansing cloths and eye remover- a must

• 1/21/14 11:05 Isabella Muse:

oh god me too anne! TOO many times to count! :-D I LOVE mine but sometimes I don’t use it for like a month and I can see the difference in my skin but for some reason, rushing around in the AM, same in the PM, I just can’t be bothered to haul it out. Although I have been on a straight 6 month period without a break recently :-D

• 1/21/14 14:12 anne:

haha yea once you get into it you’re good. I use to be the one that was ok with at least removing my makeup with cloths, if i happened to fall asleep like once a week-so be it. or even with makeup on! and that was in the BE matte fdn days when that was all i wore years ago. But once i saw the difference it makes when you wash your face at night, i can’t skip out.!

• 1/21/14 15:20 Isabella Muse:

oh girl one thing I am not lazy about is washing my face ;-D def can’t sleep in makeup that would be a disaster for me :D

• 1/21/14 11:15 The Single Nester:

I purchased the Clarisonic Mia2 in December and returned it after it damaged my skin so severely. My skin dried out, red cheeks, wrinkles. After calling Carisonic and being on hold for 30 minutes, i spoke with two totally incompetent employees. This product is not for everyone.

• 1/21/14 22:59 AnniLau:

My issues weren’t as severe as yours, but I’ve never been able to use my Clarisonic consistently without it irritating my skin. I’ve tried limiting it to to 2-3x per week, using different brush heads, being super careful about how much pressure I use, and so on, but it makes no difference. My skin is only mildly sensitive in general, so I don’t know what the problem is, but Clarisonic is apparently not for me.

• 1/21/14 11:46 Lisa:

Wow, I never thought of that. One of the things that sold me on the Clarisonic is that it removes 6 times more makeup than manual cleansing. I take my eye makeup off first, rinse my skin with water and a washcloth, apply cleanser and then use the Clarisonic. I then rinse the brush head, pat dry and that’s it. Sometimes I use it on my dry skin ( I have the gentle brush head)because I am a believer in dry brushing. It’s especially good on the lips! So yeah, I do use it to remove my makeup. I bought mine few years ago- the Pro version- and have never looked back. I feel guilty if I don’t use it! I do switch up what cleanser I am using depending on what my skin is needing though.

• 1/21/14 11:54 Valérie Bérubé:

I use Bioderma Sensibio with coton pads to remove makeup and then use my Clarisonic to clean throughly my skin with Clinique Mild soap.

• 1/21/14 12:12 Cait:

Nope, the brush head gets too nasty. I’ll remove my makeup first with a cleansing cloth or cleansing oil and then go back in and use my clarisonic to get whatever makeup i missed the first time around.

• 1/21/14 19:15 Amy Amethyst:

I did use mine a lot at 1st and then quit. I finally gave it to my sister but then it died and wasn’t still under warranty so she prob threw it out. I did use mine to clean off makeup and it did do a good job of it.

• 1/21/14 20:27 Alanna:

Haha I also only use mine in the morning with cleanser as a “skin treatment”. At night I remove my eye makeup, oil cleanse, and then second cleanse with a foam wash. I always swipe toner afterwards too just to make sure I’ve gotten everything!

• 1/21/14 22:37 Staryu:

I do! I use it lieu of makeup remover and it all works out fine. Nothing is left behind afterward. Sometimes the makeup doesn’t rinse well off of the brush head itself, and that’s where a touch of Dawn dishwashing liquid comes into play. Works like a charm.

• 1/22/14 0:38 Michelle:

I use Dermalogica’s make-up removing wipes and then proceed with a cleanser. I try to concentrate on areas that need it most. My skin is sensitive so I don’t use it daily. But, it does work one just has to use it according to their needs.

• 1/22/14 17:22 Christine:

I have the Clarisonic Mia and when I first got it, I used to use it to remove my make up every once in a while. My skin regime used to be that when I got home and wasn’t planning on going out anymore, I used to take off my make up using the Philosophy Purity cleanser and then my Mia later on in the night before bed. Sometimes, I skippsed this step and just thought I’d take off everything by using my usual night time cleanser with the Clarisonic.

Like so many others above, I was meh about my brush heads looking so loaded so I don’t do this anymore.

I have now stopped using Purity as an extra cleaning step and instead, have switched to using Bioderma micellar solution to take off all my make up when I get home. I still use the Mia at night time and this combo works for me. I like using the Mia – I definite see a difference to my skin compared to how it was before I started using it. It’s not a miracle worker but it does do it’s job and does it well. I’ve considered it a good investment in my skincare and will be repurchasing if this one ever breaks down. But shh, don’t tell my Mia that, haha.

• 7/11/14 17:28 Fatima:

I use mine in the evenings before bed and I don’t remove my makeup before. Then again, I don’t wear heavy makeup. But if I do have a full face I will remove it first.
    Just got mine in May all the way from the US (I’m from South Africa) and I’ve been in love.
    Honeymoon forever Lol