Commodity Fragrances have quite the cult following and happen to be a niche brand I haven’t had the pleasure of taking on for myself until recently. Lucky enough Sephora has the Commodity Cocktail Kit which contains 10 Commodity Eau de Parfum vials in 0.067 oz sizes.
This little set contains the entire catalog of Commodity Fragrances so it’s a great way to introduce yourself to this fragrance house but also it’s a nice way to discover the fine art of fragrance layering.
The Commodity Cocktail Kit can be purchased in one of two ways. At Sephora.com you can grab this set for $22 or you can get the set free from commoditygoods.com however, you have to pay $99 for it! Not really, let me explain! Commodity will charge you $99 for the sample set, ship it your way, and they’ll give you a coupon code which can be used on their website to get a full size of any Commodity fragrance that you end up loving from the 10 piece kit. Pretty nifty right?
If $99 is too expensive for you to splurge no problem they also offer a Duo Travel Spray of your Choice which is $49. So the sampler is free and, later on, you can use the coupon they give you to redeem two travel sprays of your choice on their site. This is also offered at $69 which gives you a trio of Travel Sprays. And again, the sampler set is completely free!
Commodity Fragrances are cocktailing perfumes that were created to be layered. This isn’t to say they can’t be used alone because they can, in fact, be worn alone. But they also work well together create a truly unique fragrance. This is the fine art of fragrance layering, something I haven’t quite mastered myself but love to dabble in.
Commodity has dubbed wearing their fragrances alone as “neat” but they do have a scent cocktail library with ideas for layering their fragrances together to create a completely new scent. Or the kit does contain a sample card with recipes for cocktails! According to them, there are over 1,000 possible combinations to create so the experience of layering is truly a unique one. It’s also a great way to get your creative juices flowing!
Their black label line are complex, dark, and intense whereas their white label fragrances are a bit lighter and easier to wear. Typically mixing a black label with a white label product the best effects in my experience. This is also a great way to tame down some of the more intenser black label fragrances.
The Commodity Cocktail Kit includes:
- Gold is a warm and gourmand scent. This rich concoction of molten amber and Nubian musk is indulgent enough to bathe in.
- Rain is a fresh and aquatic scent. This pleasant surprise for spring combines soothing notes of lotus, verbena, dew, and jasmine to create a delicate floral symphony.
- Mimosa is a fresh and citrusy scent. A vibrant marriage of bubbly champagne and sweet mandarin, the scent evokes the best part of a luxurious Sunday brunch.
- Tea is a citrusy and bright scent. This soft brew of citrus and aquatic notes is infused with cooling watermint leaf that gives it an exotic undertone.
- Magnolia is an alluring duet of soft florals and dewy greens. This carefree, innocent blend of crisp green notes with a heart of rich, floral magnolia and gourmand hints rests on a warm base of caramel and musk.
- Whiskey is a warm and spicy scent inspired by American bourbon casks and rare Irish whiskies. Layers of mahogany, oak, sage, and cinnamon create this profound blend.
- Book is a fresh and woodsy scent, an exciting mixture of spicy cucumber and torchwood with many unexpected twists and pleasantries.
- Moss is a crisp and earthy scent that captures the balance between fresh, cool greens and musky earth undertones.
- Wool is a warm and spicy scent that features touches of Bourbon vanilla and Haitian vetiver.
- Gin is a fresh and woodsy scent consisting of a rare blend of leatherwood, eucalyptus, and sandalwood distilled with utter finesse.
My personal favorite stand alone fragrance is Gold. I’m not much for amber but this is a warm, soothing uni-sex fragrance that’s warm, comforting, and relaxing. Book is another fragrance that works beautifully alone. It’s woodsy, also feels very unisex, and reminds me of stepping into an old bookstore and being enveloped by pages and pages of stories as old as time. Now Gold and Book happen to be a marriage most divine. Applying a quick mist of Gold following by Book creates a soothing, relaxing warmth. If I close my eyes I can picture myself reading one of my favorite Jane Austen novels curled up in a chair with my favorite soft, fuzzy blanket and a roaring fire going with snow falling outside. The two fragrances together are rich, warm, relaxing, and soothing. If you want to jolt yourself out of the cozy chair you can add a quick mist of Gin which lightens up the warmth of Book and Gold and gives it a little buzz of eucalyptus. This is like reading Austen in front of a roaring fire while sipping on a glass of that quirky little green fairy, Absinthe.
There are so many ways you can wear these fragrances. Creating something unique, different, and complex is very easy to do with the sample set and believe me after using them the purchase of a full size won’t be far behind.
Although the Commodity Cocktail Kit is an excellent purchase at $22 from Sephora, I would personally recommend indulging in one of the Commodity deals I mentioned above as that makes the sampler free. And as I said the purchase of a full size of these beautiful fragrances is likely in your future.