Urban Decay Primer Potion in a Tube is The Awesome But, Houston, We Have a Problem!

1Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion Tube Greed Sin Eden

I think I might have heard the angels sing the day that Urban Decay decided to package up their most perfect Primer Potion and slap it in a tube.

As a long time user of their primer I, like everyone else, was an ickle frustrated with the genie bottle packaging which was wasteful as a ton of the product would float around all the way on the bottom of the cute tube and prove impossible to pick up with the doe foot sponge applicator.

The first solution to the problem was to slant the applicator which did help get more product out however Urban Decay’s second solution was to finally take the plunge and revamp the packaging into a squeeze tube.

Amen.

But…

I’m really worried because this Spring all the primers are now in a squeeze tube and after months of using my own Professional Size Tube I’m about ready to throw in the hat and say…

Please Urban Decay bring back the genie packaging.

Gulp!

I know, I know you’re probably screaming at me and thinking what the hell is she on about?

The thing is you do have to take the 6 month expiration date very seriously. Thankfully they did away with the pro size and now have these back in the regular size because maybe we have a chance of actually using the product within the expiration time frame because it’s essential you do otherwise….

The formula begins to morph.

I noticed the tube formula was slightly different than the genie bottle however nothing too major. Genie bottle formula is typically runnier, thinner where as the tube was thicker and creamier. However, nothing to major as it was still a most beloved primer that kept shadow locked on for hours on end.

However, the formula becomes virtually unusable as you head into six month period. If you’ve sliced open the genie bottle before you’ve probably already run into the issue. Normally people slice in and depot the primer into a smaller jar of some sort but after mere days of doing so the formula becomes dried out and hard.

I’m sad to say the same happens to the tube. I’m heading into my sixth month with my pro size and the formula has really proved a chore to get out of the tube. It’s become harder, almost clay-like, and very dry. Luckily it still works but it is proving impossible to actually squeeze it out of the tube at this point. I can literally curl the tube up and it produces not even a smidge of primer, I simply can’t get it out because of the way the texture of the product has hardened.

I’m kinda sad this happened but when we originally heard about the tube alot of folks had noticed the six month expiration period and had asked what I thought of that. At the time I wasn’t concerned but now I’m understanding why tube packaging isn’t such a good idea.

If it’s any consolation I’m HOPEFUL I’ll be able to use up an entire tube of the regular size in a six month (or hopeful the formula has changed in the new tube and will possibly stay fresher for longer) period but I honestly doubt it as I used to go for longer with the genie bottle….

How about you?

Own the pro size?

Any issues with the formula?

Do share it!

• 4/20/11 18:37 Jemimah:

thats a shame! i would think that the genie bottles were just aesthetically pleasing but i guess it did sort of serve a purpose

• 4/20/11 19:13 Vijaya:

My pro size tube is six (maybe seven) months and going strong, so I don’t share that experience. I prefer the tube, though if you are right about it going thick, I’m going to be changing my tune. xP

• 4/21/11 9:18 the Muse:

vijaya good!!!!!!!!!!!! I wish I could say the same ;(

• 5/13/11 19:31 Ruthless:

I find the primer actually works better for my oily lids when it thickens up a bit

• 4/20/11 19:23 DaenaCat:

I’m still using up my last genie container (about to slice the sucker open) so I haven’t tried the new tubes. But I wonder if it would be worth it to squeeze out, say a week or two’s amount of product in a small container and then refill that every so often rather than opening and using the tube each day. (I use contact lens cases for mine — that way I can use one side at a time and it lasts longer for me.)

Failing that, they really should offer a smaller amount at a reduced price! I’d rather buy less product but have that product usable!

• 4/21/11 9:18 the Muse:

hi daena depotting normally morphs the formula for me :( so I don’t bother doing it anymore.

• 4/20/11 19:54 auroragyps:

6 months? That’s not good. I’ve had my Primer Potion w/ the wand for much longer than that. I don’t tend to follow expiration date exactly and go by smell. I don’t get out much, so for me to buy makeup & then chuck it a few months later is a huge waste of cash. So far, no problems. :knock on wood:

• 4/20/11 19:59 jo:

omg me too but something even worse happened…the end of the tube where its crimped bust open! and it was during the first month of use >.< what is up with the packing? who cares if its cute if it doesn't function properly! my poor primer =(

• 4/21/11 9:17 the Muse:

aw jo sorry to hear lucky enough mine is holding strong and I really put the pressure on it to squeeze the primer out I literally roll it up ;D!

• 4/21/11 14:07 Guida:

Ah, my story is worse than yours :( I have the old container and for some reason it got broken in the bottom :(

• 4/20/11 20:03 karigold:

I warm my tube with my hairdryer to get it flowing again… seems to be working fine. Application still the same as is the wear.

• 4/21/11 9:16 the Muse:

kari GREAT idea, gonna try that!

• 4/20/11 20:16 clementine:

Weird… I’ve never heard of TFSI having this issue, and it also comes in a tube. o.O Maybe this is one time UD should give up pretty for practicality…?

• 4/21/11 9:16 the Muse:

tfsi has a whole other formula clem, it’s oily and not as creamier as ud ;D or at least that’s how I feel :)

• 4/21/11 9:52 clementine:

Hmmm, I wonder if that’s what helps the formula stay runny, though. LOL, maybe we should be giving UD more credit for the genie bottle…?

• 4/21/11 9:55 the Muse:

clem I think we should ;-D!

• 4/20/11 20:29 shusheshe:

That’s the problem with my pro tube… it’s so hard to get the product out now that it’s dried up, and worse it’s hard to get it to blend evenly on my eyelid.

• 4/21/11 9:15 the Muse:

it def proves a little difficult to blend out shush but still does the trick but getting it OUT of the damn tube proves impossible :-/

• 4/20/11 20:29 Sara:

Sad, I really wanted to get these but I think i’ll be sticking to my shadow insurance.

• 4/20/11 20:33 Rosie:

I’ve never had a problem with it drying out and I dopoted a jumbo one a while ago and Sin today from last summer…Hmmm.

• 4/21/11 9:15 the Muse:

I’ve always found the formula completely morphs within days of depotting Rosie. You’re lucky ;D!

• 4/20/11 20:42 Jackie:

I had issues with my tube the day I bought it. It was so hard to squeeze out, that it actually broke the seal at the back end of the tube. I had to empty the whole thing out into a clean jar. Four months later, there hasn’t been any additional drying.

• 4/20/11 20:43 Jessica:

my friend’s whose dried slightly in the genie bottle revitalized after we depotted and dropped a few drops of water and mixed! consistency picked right up (:

• 4/21/11 9:14 the Muse:

will have to try some water jessica ;D!

• 4/20/11 21:38 Nicole:

I am afraid I am running into the same issue. In addition, the material used to make the tube megins to morph as well, I cannot full close the tube. I could twist the top for hours because its created new threads. I really have to work to get it out of the tube. =/

• 4/21/11 9:07 the Muse:

I really have to work it HARD to get it out nicole. :-/

• 4/20/11 21:41 Tanarra:

Quite honestly I’ve had by UDPP longer than a year now at least and it still works as good as new. I think the way they designed the bottle the first time keeps more air out and moisture in so there might have been some method to their madness.

• 4/21/11 9:06 the Muse:

tanarra you mean the genie bottle right? same here, I’ve gone a year on mine as well and it’s always remained fresh but not the case for the tube :-/

• 4/22/11 13:00 Tanarra:

Yep the genie bottle. I think they could fix it by changing the shape slightly and it’d still be cute but more functional in getting every last drop.

• 4/20/11 21:44 Larie:

Oooh, interesting! I haven’t heard anything like this yet. I’m still on a genie bottle tube of Eden, but I’ve never depotted them either (I just throw ‘em out when I can’t get any more product out with the wand…wasteful, I know, but all of those tutorials with the cutting and the slicing scare me, haha).

• 4/20/11 22:03 Quinctia:

I guess my question is how does the tube open/close? Is it possible that something was coming loose somewhere and allowing air to hit the product? I know that the UD face primers have a twisty top that allows you to squirt the product through the lid itself like it was a tube of glue, but if you aren’t careful in your daily twisting/untwisting, you can loosen the whole lid off the body of the tube instead of merely opening the top.

I’ve never had an issue with the genie bottles, but I have always had them in a bag or a drawer where they were often stored in a different position everyday (i.e., not always upright where all the product sank to the bottom of the tube) and I honestly think that helped me get more of it out. Now they’re straight-up sideways on the top of my traincase, so hopefully my luck will continue.

• 4/21/11 9:09 the Muse:

it has a twist on cap Qunctia. I don’t see any air going in or out as the needle nose prevents much from air getting in it.

• 4/20/11 22:21 Raecelle:

hey muse :)

have u ever tried filling up a mug with hot water and you submerge the tube in the so it will be able to run? id never tried with the tube but when i use to do this to my genie bottle all the time.

• 4/21/11 9:06 the Muse:

nope raecelle thanks gonna give it a try ;D!

• 4/20/11 22:32 M:

Gasp. I didn’t even know there was a 6month expiration date!

I’ve been using mine daily and I don’t know if this will sound strange, but my UDPP (in the genie bottle) seems…. runnier? Maybe it’s the hot tropical weather we have in Singapore.

I thought of trying the Nars eyeshadow primer, but am unsure if it will be good for oily eyelids like mine.

• 4/21/11 9:06 the Muse:

no m that’s actually right, the genie bottle’s formula has always been runnier but the tube seems creamier but it still works great but sadly in the tube it’s a six month expiration and seems to get harder as the time goes by :(

• 4/20/11 22:44 Melissa:

Yes!!! I’m so Sad. I have roughly 1/2 the pro size left and I’m ready to throw it out. Imo its a waste of money for a product I use nearly daily. The formula is yucky now. I’m actually going to switch to nars i think for the sheer formula or even go back to TSFI if its in a kit.,

• 4/21/11 9:05 the Muse:

melissa how long have you had it? mine still works but the formula is really different now than when I originally purchased :-/

• 4/20/11 22:52 jackieg02:

Yes, I own the pro size and the same is happening to me. Total saddness

• 4/20/11 23:24 LorraineER:

How about no genie bottle OR squeeze tube. How about… regular old lipgloss-style packaging? Like Nars smudgeproof or NYX? I know some of us are packaging hoors but this is an awesome much-loved product and because of that people do expect it to do it’s job. I would rather have boring packaging but the best product inside in the case of this primer.

• 4/20/11 23:25 LorraineER:

P.S- I was just about to buy one of these in “Eden” but I wouldn’t be using it daily so I’m really glad you posted this!

• 4/21/11 0:29 Jeanne:

I’ve had the pro size for over 6 months now and it has become EXTREMELY difficult to squeeze the tube to get product out but luckily the formula still seems to be working fine for me :)

• 4/21/11 9:04 the Muse:

same here jeanne. thankfully it still works great but it proves impossible to get out of the tube and the formula has become harder when I do get it out but it still holds shadow in place like nothing else ;D!

• 4/21/11 0:50 Maggie:

That’s exactly why I use TFSI :P I just finished up a tube of it that lasted me over a year with no problems. I know the separation bothers some people, but it’s really easily averted if you shake the tube and then squeeze about a week’s worth of primer into a little sample jar and use that, then just wash and refill the jar as you go. No crappy packaging problems, no expiring-after-six-months problem. UDPP drives me bonkers!

• 4/21/11 1:25 Soo:

very unfortunate :(
    I have enough of the mini primers to get me by that I’ve never invested in getting a full-size one.

• 4/21/11 4:09 Sun:

Awww! And I just bought a tube of original primer, too. I think though, since I am only close to finishing my genie bottle, Ill rinse out the genie bottle and squeeze the tube’s primer into the bottle. Unless it’s also the formula? I don’t wear makeup often enough to use up the tube in 6 months.

• 4/21/11 7:02 cheyenne:

i thought i was the only one who noticed it.

all i did was fill up a cup halfway with hot tap water, and put the tube in it, cap-side facing upwards. i let it sit in there for approx 3 mins and the primer is soft and runny again.

• 4/21/11 9:00 the Muse:

I’m going to try that chey! ;-D

• 4/21/11 10:24 rose:

Snack size ziplock bags are essential for anyone with products drying out!!! I toss stuff like stains, samples (for these I sometimes use the mini bags for individual dose of medicine from the drugstore– as a bonus those get a label area to write on)

extra tip: you can make small bags of makeup remover wipes for purse or overnight bag folding up one or a few and putting them in an airtight pouch. (the med ones come like 100 for a couple of bucks)

• 4/21/11 11:27 JoleneAL:

This is why I use the Too Faced Shadow Insurance. I’ve read and heard about more issues with this products’ packaging than I care to deal with! Really, for what you pay for it don’t you think they’d package it better for the user?

• 4/21/11 12:08 jenna:

i just received my first UDPP yesterday and it’s the tube packaging in Eden. i didn’t realize it had a 6 month expiry either! grr! i’m SO not an eyeshadow person when it comes to daily wear (weird, i know) so i’ll never use it up in that time. thanks for the warning, muse, and everyone for the awesome tips! maybe i can use it daily on its own as a brightener/corrector for my lids to use it up quicker?

• 4/21/11 16:17 the Muse:

jenna hopefully eden doesn’t suffer the same fate as the original hun. Maybe it’ll remain creamy?! as they are kinda diff formulas….! SURE!!!!!!! that’s why I use it, as a brightener/corrector….!!!!!!! like benefit lemon aid ;D

• 4/21/11 12:29 Diana:

I hate to admit it but I’ve had mine for probably over 2 years, I de-potted mine a while back and put it in a airtight container, which has kept it from drying out, but it does seem to have changed consistency from runny to creamy. It works fine but at times when I applied it, it dries up patchy on my lid, but when that happens I just add a little eye cream to the mix and it brings it back to life. I didn’t know of the 6 months expiration, I wonder if it’s still safe to use so long after the expiration date?

• 4/21/11 16:16 the Muse:

YUP diana same here…it turns clay-like when I depot and very DRY on my lid :-/ 6 months is on the tube not sure on the genie bottle I never actually looked/paid attention!

• 4/21/11 15:55 Marina:

I got the pro size for Christmas, and I just started using it maybe a month ago. I noticed that there is a lot of air in the tube and that the cap doesn’t close tightly….This is interesting…

• 4/21/11 16:21 rose:

almost every cream/liquid eye product contains the 6 mo exp date which is due to bacterial growth and risk of eye infection. even the small amount of product touching your clean fingertip then receding into the dark moist airless environment is open to bacteria growth.

(actually BE loose shadows do too as the surface is constantly exposed with germs moving through the loose particles)

• 4/21/11 20:17 Misato-san:

I’m shocked. You know, I’m a huge fan of Shadow Insturance instead… 12 months of pao, and works really good after that time too (because it lasts me from 14 to 16 months now)…

• 4/21/11 22:33 Phyrra:

Maybe email Urban Decay and see what they say? I’ve never had as much luck using UDPP as my beloved TFSI, but I know LOTS of people (including you) adore UDPP, so they might have a fix or suggestion.

• 4/22/11 9:42 Irene:

I’m happy to see all these reviews and glad I didn’t go out and get a pro tube. I knew I wouldn’t use it up as I’m not booking many clients anymore as my career takes a new direction. It’s a shame, I thought this would be great. I wonder if the plastic used isn’t keeping it air tight… I have BE in a tube from more than 6 months ago that has stayed consistent.

• 4/23/11 0:25 Jane:

Hi Muse, I wasn’t really sold on UDPP after trying out a travel size from one of the BOS. I mean sure it made my shadow last longer compared to using no primer but when I started using TFSI, I didn’t even get to finish the small genie bottle. The packaging was cute but it’s not the smartest – you just know all that product left will go to waste. To my oily lids and our humid weather (I live in the tropics and I’m a Malay asian so our skin is not as flawless as say like the Koreans or Chinese), they performed practically the same in terms of wear and creasing. But I am extremely happy to confirm that the NYX HD shadow primer trumps both the TFSI and UDPP!!! I’m happy because it’s dirt cheap compared to the 2. I’m not happy with the packaging but really the price and performance more than compensates for the doe foot applicator. Texture is a bit runny, TFSI has the best texture I think, but overall I had zero creasing with this primer regardless of the shadow I used! :D But umm yeah I would be happier with a tube or vacuum pump packaging lol!

• 4/26/11 10:23 the Muse:

that’s fab Jane!!!!!!!! I had really great success with NYX too ;-D and quite a nice price! ha! Me too ;-D something anything that’s easier than the genie bottle and the dried up tube :D!

• 4/25/11 0:57 amber:

I love UDPP as I have really oily lids. I have been using it for years now and have depotted 2 from the genie bottle. The first time I stored it in a plastic container and it dried out within a few weeks and was awful. This time I put it in a glass jar since I heard it keeps it better. While it is thicker than what it was originally it still works great. I think you end up pulling all the thinner stuff out over time and what is left is the creamy more soild product (It reminds me of drinking water with a flavor packet. Tastes great and product is dispersed, but when you get to the bottom of the glass the water has more powder and is really strong.) It lasts me forever. I was excited to try a tube the next time to bypass the depotting hassle. Now I am not so sure. :( If you find a solution or method that works for the tube can you make a new post?

• 4/25/11 10:28 the Muse:

def will update amber :) if I hear/try anything different that works I’ll update. I’m going to try the glass jar you suggested too!

• 4/25/11 16:09 Kasiah:

Sadly I have noticed a difference myself. I had the regular genie bottle and it worked great until I had to depot it. Then I started using the one from the naked palette and my eyeshadows creased like crazy buy the end of the day. I have moved on to the too faced shadow insurance

• 4/27/11 13:52 Jess:

I own the pro size, and i hate it! Since the very first time i used it, the product has been clay-like from the get-go, and when squeezes it out of tube, THE CRIMPED PART OPENS UP AND PRODUCT COMES OUT OF THE BACK!! I’ve held onto my genie bottles (i have the regular size and the mini size that came with the naked palette), so i’ll try to put the back leakage (sounds so gross haha) in those packages so i don’t waste anything, but there’s the issue of contamination and all that. In general, UDPP is amazing– why can’t the packaging match the product?

• 5/8/11 1:43 sparklyblind:

Hey Muse! And everyone else! :) This new situation sucks, especially since UD FINALLY did what so many were basically demanding…
    But to answer your questions:

• 5/8/11 2:16 sparklyblind:

my genie bottles have lasted me sooooo long, without issues at all! i wasnt one who pretty much demanded UD put its magical primer in tube form, but i guess the genie inside holding the primer’s supersercrets got angry & wants their genie bottle/house back!! :)
    maybe they could try out a sort of sqeezable genie bottle w hard & softer parts too, so the genie bottle can remain in all its magical, charming glory, but also house the primer correctly again. im just throwing out some idea here off the top of my head, but, they could make the genie bottle look&work (to prevent drying) the same except we would squeeze the softer body of the curved genie bottle (except the inside is NOT curved, it stays totally straight so the product can be all sqeezed out.) Then, keeping the top and tip design look of the bottle the same, the primer will squeeze out the very tip BUT w this we need a cap or something to prevent drying, so my 2 quick ideas:
    1. TWISTY- you know how some bath&body lotions&gels have the twist the top open-squeeze out product-twist back to close? Gwen Stefani’s perfume “L” has this for her matching lotion&bath gel. Just twist that bottom part of the primer top to open a little hole in the tip of the very top to sqeeze out product from the straight internal flexible tibe that holds the container (this tube is covered by another sturdy but flexible material (because it will be sqeezed often&MUST hold up!) that has been molded into the genie bottle shape.
    2. Just go back to everything original,, BUT!!!! KEEP THE INTERNAL PART OF THE GENIE BOTTLE STRAIGHT! we can buy straight tips & bend them if we choose. THAT idea has been such a serious no brainer to me for years. I honestly couldnt believe the soap opera about udpp! Mine ALWAYS worked great, lasted a VERY long Time, and i have always felt i got my money’s worth:)
    To Answer your ?- mine do start out thinner it seems, maybe, and get slightly thicker w age but still thin in my opinion (compred to other products that claim to “invisibly/seamlessly ” prime.) I go by smell too but if its SUPER OLD I trash it!

• 5/9/11 23:54 Kimi:

I love the Urban Decay shadow primer! However, it’s a bit pricey for my budget these days. I’ve been using this primer called “Jesse’s Girl” that I picked up for six bucks at Rite Aid. It’s a bit runny, but it does a great job (comparable to UD even, in my opinion) of holding my shadow on all day. And I have super oily skin, so primer is a must, always. :-)

• 5/10/11 9:03 the Muse:

kimi try out NYX’s new HD primer, it’s cheap and good too! :D

• 6/10/11 3:35 char:

i have the set of 3 in the genie bottles. i have had them for 4 months now so i hope they last me longer since i dont use them all that much :( thanks for this post though i will be sure to steer clear of the tubes.

• 9/17/11 14:13 Kate:

It’s funny because I almost never use my makeup fast enough in general just because I have so damn much makeup! (I can only imagine what it’s like for you, Muse, ahaha!) Seriously! I don’t really have one preference or another in terms of the packaging…they both seem to fit in my makeup storage drawers just as easily… admittedly you can get more product with the squeeze tube….!

But TBH, I have discovered after trying many primers that the Limecrime Eyeshadow Helper works EVEN BETTER than UDPP. Which is odd, b/c UDPP is a hella hella nice product, but I just prefer the thickness of the LC primer better. It’s so weird. I swore I’d never switch from UDPP to any other eye primer…especially not *gasp* LC…but alas…! :(

• 10/20/11 23:19 K33:

Same problem here. I actually came across this website, looking for a solution to use the 1/2-1/3 remaining product in the tube.

I literally could not squeeze hard enough to get ANY product through the hole. I tried cutting the tip down (to create a bigger hole) and finally cut the crimped end. The product is so putty-like and unspreadable, that my bf thought i had a wart on my lid.

I emailed UD cust service, and they suggested I bring it back to the store. But Sephora says I bought it too long ago, and cream products have a shelf life of 6 months. Poop. No bueno, UD (and for that matter, Sephora)

• 10/21/11 10:02 the Muse:

k33 I’m not sure what happened with this but they seriously should have stuck with the genie bottle PLUS even now the genie bottle formula seems to have changed :(

• 10/25/11 2:36 k33:

I heard you can mix face lotion or face primer with the hardened UDPP and make it useable again. I ran to sephora yesterday and got the smaller tube, so i probably won’t bother.

• 11/3/12 12:05 jane:

Same thing happened to my large size tube. After a few months can’t exactly remember when it started, it just became so hard to get the product out. It was dry and clay like YES!

• 11/13/12 16:36 the Muse:

same here jane le sigh!

• 11/20/12 2:11 JP:

thanks for sharing this! i’ve been wanting to try UD primer but I don’t wear eyeshadow everyday. Maybe I’ll try a small tube/bottle first and see how it goes.

• 3/12/13 8:54 christina:

I as well had the pro sized tube and was ECSTATIC!!! I thought I was a genius to cut it open and save my goods in an empty screw on jar. But YES… within days, I don’t think the first week had passed and that stuff was THICK like PASTE!!!! I could barely remove a tiny “clump” with my fingernail. I was sadly disappointed. I had never known the genie bottle secret to get ALL that extra goo out of there, but ugh… I’m hoping they did NOT change formulas, that would be terrible!

• 5/21/13 18:08 Jude:

I have a Pro size tube since a year ago… and it’s still great! I was afraid because I read the reviews about the package, but I tried to keep the tube without air. This primer thickens in contact with air, so if you avoid the tube from suching air from the outside you prolonge the product’s life. I had this custom of using binder clips to roll the sealed end of the tubes and keep products near to the nozzle(similar to what you do to metal toothpaste tubes), so I did the same thing being extra cautious. I think it has worked, but I’m worried about the stupid cap because the thread is stripped and it’s impossible to close it firmly. I’m thinking of transfering it to an airless pump bottle but I don’t know …