So you’re having issues matching your foundation? Who hasn’t run into that problem! The new Sephora + Pantone Color IQ is one of the most advanced foundation matching solutions available in North American beauty retail and you can try it out at Sephora locations.
Never struggle with your color match again!
Check it out!
Using Pantone’s color capture and measuring technology, the Sephora + Pantone Color IQ is the first and only beauty system to scan the surface of the skin, assign an official Pantone SkinTone number, and match a scientifically precise foundation shade from Sephora’s 1,000 foundations, brands and formulas.
“Sephora + Pantone Color IQ is an incredible process that delivers a real benefit to our clients,” said Margarita Arriagada, senior vice president of merchandising at Sephora. “We see this as the first application of this exclusive Sephora technology, and are excited to expand its capabilities for other uses in the color world.”
“Skin tones are comprised of many distinct shades so developing this particular application for our color measuring technology was an exciting challenge for us,” explained Lisa Herbert, vice president of consumer licensing at Pantone. “Even within the broader range of fairest ivory to deepest ebony, there are nuances that need to be calibrated correctly to determine the right match, and this solution eliminates many of the variables that can affect shade selection.”
The device works by taking an image of skin and references that swatch with Sephora’s Universal Skintone Library on an iPad which holds over 1,000 foundation SKUs. This determines what products are a precise match for each skin tone.
Interesting tidbits about the Sephora + Pantone Color IQ Handheld Device:
- Uses powerful tri-directional image capture technology
- Records 27 color-accurate images in 1.8 seconds using 8 different visible illuminations and 1 ultraviolet illumination for unsurpassed accuracy
- Grid of 100×100 pixels across skin sample, which then becomes one color composite
- New method of color measurement, including texture and surface sample variables, allowing for the most accurate definition of color
Cameras vs. Color IQ device for pigment precision:
- Traditional cameras use ambient light, creating huge pigment variables
- Color IQ illuminates skin surface from 3 different directions, and does not require ambient lighting for precision matching
Facts about the Sephora + Panton Color IQ SkinTone Library:
- Ethnicity isn’t the only consideration when color matching – there are more factors in the physiology of the skin that determine color (hemoglobin, sun exposure, freckles, skin conditions, sun burn, excess or absence of melanin)
- 110 shades comprise the PANTONE SkinTone Library
- Foundation shades are based on SEPHORA’s current foundation landscape and can be expanded as more brand offerings are added, making the most comprehensive foundation library available at retail
The iPad app platform is exclusive to Sephora and has email capabilities so matches can be emailed directly to you!
Sephora has compiled a list of recommendations before you head to a store and try out the Color IQ System:
- Do not work out for 30 minutes prior to match
- No chemical or harsh peels 3-6 days prior to match
- Drink more water and less caffeine prior to match; caffeine restricts blood flow, effecting flush of skin
- Disclose if you are wearing self-tanner to the Sephora artist for a better match
The color match technology has launched at Sephora 5 Times Square right here in Manhattan today, July 26th. So if you want to try it and you’re in the New York area do head to Sephora Times Square today!
It’ll be available at Sephora Powell Street on August 2nd.
I don’t have details for the nationwide launch but I imagine by Fall most locations will offer the technology.
I am terribly excited about this so I might just head to Sephora Times Square later this evening to check it out but I fear that I’ll be spending $$$ on new foundations if I do…!
I have a list of foundations I’ve wanted to try that’s a mile long but I find the task of finding a good match very daunting and I never have success with sales assistants at Sephora matching me correctly.
Hopefully this Color IQ system works because if it does it could revolutionize the way we choose and buy our base products!