MAC Little Darlings Softsparkle/Eye Pencil Set Review and Swatches

The Muse’s wishy list is filled with dreams of the gloss sets from the MAC Little Darling Collection! However, today she’ll forsake the glosses and bring you a review of the next best thing, the MAC Little Darling Softsparkle/Eye Pencil Set!

Excited?

About a week ago I brought you some swatches from items I already own from this particular set and today I’ll bring you the remaining swatches. When I first heard about this set I got uber excited as I thought that the set included ALL MAC Softsparkle Pencils. I got even more hyper when I thought the set included two shades of Softsparkle Pencils I didn’t already own.

Picture+054

Picture+056

But duh….

The Muse quickly realized today upon opening the canister up that it actually included three SoftSparkle Pencils and two regular eye pencils from MAC!

Picture+057

Well, slap me and call me silly who knew?

The good news is I now have a backup of my very favorite pencil Peacocked! w00t! And the better news is I have a brand new SoftSparkle Pencil I’ve never even heard of entitled Chocolight!

Picture+059

This is fairly great deal at $29.50 USD as it contains five nice size (not full size) eye pencils from MAC. For all those technical people out there that means the large size pencils are 1.68g/0.059oz and the mini size are .95g/0.03oz. Either way you deal it, the Muse thinks it’s a good deal as it’s like paying under $5 USD per a pencil!

Picture+077

The pencils you’ll get with this set are:

MAC Softsparkle Eyeliner Pencils in:

• Peacocked (a sea foam green shade with shimmer)
  • Chocolight (light caramel brown with shimmer)
  • Mint & Green (olive green with shimmer)

Picture+066

Picture+067

Picture+071

Picture+0721

Picture+068

Picture+070

MAC Eyeliner Pencils in:

• Black Funk (true black shade)
  • Fab Orchid (true purple shade)

Picture+064

Picture+065

Picture+062

Picture+063

I simply adore Softsparkle pencils however a few things you’ll need to know, 1. the formula isn’t particularly fabulous and 2. I don’t think they are waterline safe. The formula on these are a tiny bit hard so if you’re used to using MAC Kohl or Technakohl don’t expect the same melty, buttery formula, these just don’t have that beautiful glide. A bit of tugging is invovled to get them on and a little bit of lining and re-lining to get the color on properly is required. However, after all that drama you’re left with a beautiful sparkling liner look so all is forgiven and right with the world again!

Picture+075

Similar problem with the MAC Eyeliner Pencils, they just don’t have a soft formula and they involve a bit of tugging to get into place but thankfully no re-lining is required, they normally go right on without streaking or need for another application! These are actually my least favorite in the MAC eye pencil line up and I don’t actually own any aside from these two that came with the kit! They are good but they aren’t great.

The pencils come housed in a bright red canister which resemble last year’s packaging aside from the fact that these are a lovely bright red. I shamefully admit I threw out my canisters from last season as in the Muse’s life there is such a thing as just “TOO MUCH crap!” But don’t follow my rules! The canister is actually a nice way to store and travel with the pencils or if you want you can tuck other small makeup items into them! Or if you happen to be of the Martha Stewart variety I bet you could come up with some fabulously awesome idea for using this thing! It’s a good thing!

All in all I think the MAC Little Darlings Softsparkle/Eye Pencil Set is a fab package and well worth the price tag with a few minor rants here and there from your dear old Muse!

I’m looking forward to nabbing the MAC Little Darling gloss sets shortly so expect a review and swatches as soon as I can get them in my greedy little hands!

museotherposts

MAC Little Darlings Product Photos and Swatches

MAC Adoring Carmine Face Brush Set Review

• 10/23/08 18:49 Askmewhats:

Peacocked look so pretty!!!! I wonder how much they’ll sell it here :) thanks for the info

• 10/23/08 19:01 Aline:

oOoo these look interesting…

i was really disappointed with the softsparkle set from last year… i didnt really know anything about them at all, so the name alone attracted me..

the only color i really liked was goldenair.. everything else was kinda meh to me… only because i was expecting the pencils to actually have a SOFT sparkle lol… not glitter.. i have to admit though im really loving the chocolight, mint & olive, and fab orchid pencils… the packaging alone might be enough to tip me over lol..

werent the softsparkle liners from last years set full size?

and no worries on the delayed responses muse… i really appreciate the fact that you take the time out to respond personally to everyone..

you rock girl!!

take care

aline

• 10/23/08 22:01 prettybeautiful:

the set is gorgeous! but what’s reasonably priced in US is all expensive when it is in malaysia

• 10/24/08 1:51 Paopao:

Hi Muse!

Wow! I like fab orchid and the green one!!! But I’m completely broke, don’t know if i’ll be able to save from now to christmas…

Have a great weekend!

• 10/24/08 3:18 Ann*:

umm.. *trying to feeeeel* sorry! not feeling it.

LOL!

• 10/24/08 3:35 Nell:

Im certainly no Martha Stewart (nowhere near;)), but I think the canisters are great for pencil storage on your vanity.

• 10/24/08 7:02 Tammy M:

I guess I must of the Martha Stewart variety! When I picked up last years collection at my CCO, I took the lids, filled it with some floral beads and used them as brush holders and liner holders for the top of my vanity…recycle and re-use!!!
    I think I will pass on these, but pick up the glosses instead.

• 10/24/08 7:34 the Muse:

hey nikki!

Peacocked is my very fav :)
    You’re most welcome!
    Hope they pop up your side!

• 10/24/08 7:37 the Muse:

hi aline!

How are you? HAPPY Friday! ;)

I didn’t indulge last year but I understand how you felt. The pencils are gritty..I like the finished result but I don’t like the application process :P Goldenair is yums :) It’s a fav of mine and I think it actually has a softer format than the others!

Lord knows I’ve been guilty of purchasing stuff for packaging alone..blush!

No :( sadly it’s always mini versions..!

I love talking to you so it’s my pleasure to reply :) Thanks for always taking time out to comment, I appreciate it greatly :)

Aw shucks thanks! Hugs aline!

Have a fab weekend!

• 10/24/08 7:41 the Muse:

hi prettybeautiful!

Aw :( I need to hire a jet and buy major amounts of products and bring it over for all my Malaysian readers heehee!

the price jack always stinks sigh!

• 10/24/08 7:42 the Muse:

morning pao pao!

Believe me this time of the year makes me broke too :P Collection after collection after collection holy good night!

Have a fab weekend!

• 10/24/08 7:43 the Muse:

lol ann!!!!

• 10/24/08 7:44 the Muse:

hey nell!

lol me either :) they’d do great as pencil or brush holders! Agreed :)

• 10/24/08 7:45 the Muse:

hey tammy!

lol that’s perfectly cool ;) I guess I am too to some extent :)

That sounds perfect! I think I’ll do the same with the red one this year :)

I want the glosses too! Dying for ‘em actually!

They look lovely!

*hugs*

• 10/24/08 10:32 pinkyping:

oh man i can feel it calling me.. especially I think I’m addicted to eyeliner hahahha

• 10/24/08 14:22 Phyrra:

I wish Fab Orchid or Rave came in the Technakohl liner format, or the fluidline. Sooo pretty, yet not in a formulate I like.

• 10/25/08 12:09 Connie:

I can’t choose a favorite! hmm… peacock maybe? and fab orchid? so pretty!

• 10/27/08 11:49 the Muse:

agreed dd! I’d love to see fav orchid in a pot :)

• 10/29/08 5:10 C:

OMG! I am so excited!
    everything looks so amazing!

• 10/29/08 8:37 the Muse:

me too me too squee :)

I can’t wait to review the palettes!